Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Excellent Gambling/Las Vegas Writing

Not much better than hearing about the underbelly of the gambling world mixed with random Phish and Dead references...not enough heads in the gambling world.

I can't believe this is the third WSOP I have relied on Pauly for. His blog has become part of my everyday morning routine the entire year.

F punctuation, if this writing doesn't hit you than you haven't had enough life experiences to understand the grit and feeling that comes through.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:56 PM

Welcome to the past few years of my working life!

Tao of Pauly and Tao of Poker both are constant reminders of why i need to do more drinking, traveling, drugging, and living!
Old 06-18-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not much better than hearing about the underbelly of the gambling world mixed with random Phish and Dead references...not enough heads in the gambling world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for picking up on those, Dr. Detroit!
Old 06-18-2007, 02:10 PM

Default You can\'t equate liking /not liking his style with \"life experience\"

"{ ..if this writing doesn't hit you than you haven't had enough life experiences to understand the grit and feeling that comes through."

.... or perhaps a reader is not "hit" because he or she has lived other than vicariously. Maybe an "exprienced" reader can recognize some romanticized bs written for a voyeuristic readership. However an entertaining, thesaurus-popping rush it may generate, it "hits" an inexperienced, neophyte hardest. (Sort of like a darker, more literate version of the shipithollaballa threads.)

I happen to read this stuff on occasion, it is entertaining and CERTAINLY a better read than Card Player. Compare anything Pauly writes with anything Allyn Jaffry writes in the "human interest" area..... Pauly has some entertainment value to his stream of consciousness.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:17 PM

Default Re: You can\'t equate liking /not liking his style with \"life experienc

[ QUOTE ]
"{ ..if this writing doesn't hit you than you haven't had enough life experiences to understand the grit and feeling that comes through."

.... or perhaps a reader is not "hit" because he or she has lived other than vicariously. Maybe an "exprienced" reader can recognize some romanticized bs written for a voyeuristic readership. However an entertaining, thesaurus-popping rush it may generate, it "hits" an inexperienced, neophyte hardest. (Sort of like a darker, more literate version of the shipithollaballa threads.)

I happen to read this stuff on occasion, it is entertaining and CERTAINLY a better read than Card Player. Compare anything Pauly writes with anything Allyn Jaffry writes in the "human interest" area..... Pauly has some entertainment value to his stream of consciousness.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely understand your point and think that I didn't necessarily express exactly what I meant. That being said, not really sure I fall into the inexperienced neophyte category but I guess that's all relative.

I think the blog is great and enjoy the majority of his other stuff as well. I have repeatedly found myself relating to his metaphors and descriptions on a whole lot of levels...whether it was roaming around the country following a band on an 8 week bender or the feeling when the fog lifts after a weekend on megatilt, when you suddenly realize you have busted an entire high 5 figure bankroll in a weekend. Not to mention the fact that the interactions he mentions reminds me in every way of my group of friends...

I guess I should have said similar life experiences instead of "enough life experiences" because I would never want to judge someone else's travels or path.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:34 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 06-18-2007, 11:37 PM

Default Re: You can\'t equate liking /not liking his style with \"life experienc

His sentences are way too long. If he would punctuate a bit more, it would be utter brilliance.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:11 AM

Pauly rules at life!
Old 06-20-2007, 09:03 PM

The excellent, lyrical writing of Pauly's that I was talking about was his column for June 15th which you can find by scrolling down. It has shades of Renoir, Monet, and the Beat Poets. www.taopoker.blogspot.com

Check out his coverage of Vinnie and Eskimo in today's column.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:26 PM

I read Pauly every day, and enjoy his writing. Still, I know that once a year during the WSOP, he will do his, "Las Vegas is evil and dumb tourists come here blow their money on slots and strippers" routine. I usually just try to skim the post because it always is so damn depressing. It's like he writes it after a night of losing in the pits or something.