Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 01:31 AM

Default Re: I lie and feel very good

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i have a couple questions for vhawk, the first one goes back a ways in your argument, but it's about the inevitable negative consequences of lies, if i tell you i'm 6'5" (which i am not) what possible negative consequences could there be, also, as far as breaking laws, i believe the law don't steal is a good law, however if there is a person unable to feed himself, i believe that the law of self preservation trumps the law of don't steal and that he is correct in stealing food, thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

The consequences for this type of lie are more general. I am inevitably going to find out. I might not find out this specific lie, but we are talking about systems of behavior, so if you lie this one time, you have to lie in all situations like this, or at least, you have to lie from time to time. The negative consequences of living in a world where people lie to me are wasted time and effort deciphering which things are true and which are lies. There is a cost, albeit very small, that will be paid in every human interaction I have for the rest of my life. Knowing that people sometimes lie, I can never take anything at face value, and am forced to independently confirm important details (besides the independent confirmation I would be required to do anyway based on fallibility). These are incredibly subtle, and so easily dismissed, but still very real, and not "possible future consequences" but near-certainties.

[/ QUOTE ]firstly, i would contend you already know that people sometimes lie, at the very least your posts in this forum can demonstrate that, but let's forget that, i'm far more interested in your response to my second question about stealing to keep from starving
Old 04-12-2007, 04:30 AM

Default Re: I lie and feel very good

[ QUOTE ]
To your point about noncooperation...noncooperation != lying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lying is one form of noncooperation. In the example of the Doctor I think it's clear that his lie is a form of noncooperation with the barbarians.

PairTheBoard