Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 07:08 PM

Default 50NL - can i get him off his hand?

villain calls too much pre flop, and pretty passive post flop. How often does villain play a Q like this? Should I just call or raise here to try to win it uncontested?

Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

BTN: $54
SB: $10.20
BB: $49.35
UTG: $111.75
MP: $88.05
Hero (CO): $54.35

Pre-Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (CO)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $1.50</font>, MP folds, Hero calls $1.50, 2 folds, BB calls $1

Flop: ($4.75) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $3.50</font>, BB folds, <font color="red">UTG raises to $7</font>, Hero calls $3.50

Turn: ($18.75) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">UTG bets $5</font>, <font color="red">Hero ???</font>
Old 10-07-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Re: 50NL - can i get him off his hand?

If villain is pretty passive postflop, then chances are that he has something that he doesn't want to fold. I would call here and take advantage of the fact that villain is giving you decent odds to try and hit the flush. If you do hit, don't get too excited as I could see this line coming from two pair or a set that boated on the turn and wants you to stay in the pot.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:19 PM

These super weaky bets always look inviting to raise. I don't think you actually gain any EV though over making the call, which has plenty to begin with, by raising.

Villain, if they have anything, is making FTOP errors by making small bets. If he knew that he could get you to raise the small bet, he no longer is (assuming he's going to reraise). I say take advantage of the error by calling.

In one case, there's a chance you could win the pot with a raise, there's a chance he is inducing and you'll have a big mistake on your part. In the other (flat call), we KNOW he's made an exploitable mistake no matter what he has (fairly assuming his hand is better).

edit: missed that the turn paired. Though it blanked off. I'm going to rethink this. Much more marginal call against a passive idiot. His line screams QQ.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:27 PM

I didn't ralize at first that you called his UTG raise with Ad8d. I think that's your first mistake.

once we come terms with the pf mistake, I think betting the flop is fine. his check raise at this level screams huge hand. and if he hasn't been raising a lot I think you should fold this turn. you may be drawing dead, or he may only have AK and won't pay you off if you hit. although you have the correct odds to draw his pf line coupled with the flop check raise makes me suspicious. I think you need to fold.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:28 PM

villian opened the pot UTG, then checked what looks like a pretty good flop to c-bet with a missed AK, AJ type hand. He then min-raises your bet, then bets 5$ on the turn into an almost 19$ pot...

to me, his hand looks huge here, and he may have QQ and have you drawing dead. if he's overplaying AQ here, he seems to think it's a big hand, and i dont think he's letting it go, so no, it doesn't look like you can push him off this hand imho

even if you call here, hitting your flush may be no good and just end up costing you more money, so, process with caution