Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2006, 07:44 AM

Default Buying a MacBook - Pros/Cons

Hi everybody,

im going to buy a new laptop within a few weeks and have settled my mind on a Macbook 2Ghz/2GB ram for now.

Main purpose for the book will be Inet Surfing/Music/Videos/Poker/Office. I´m not playing any games besides poker right now but there is a small chance of me getting active in MMORPGs again with the upcoming Warhammer MMORPG.

I currently own a Windows machine but thought about getting a Mac because of its complete package and the secure MacOS (since im handling sensitive data like bank accounts, CC accounts, work related information ... ). What I know there are little to none viruses/trojans/keyloggerfor the MacOS, can you confirm that ?

Are there any importet Cons against getting a mac ? Are there any alternatives you would recommend me to look into? Am i overrating the MacOS security boost?Am I just a coward and Windows is save these days ?

Thanks for your advice and experiences

Game

p.s.: pls excuse my poor english, im not a native speaker [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2006, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Buying a MacBook - Pros/Cons

I think moving to mac is a good idea, if you do need to use windows its easy to dual boot into windows, or run windows in parallel to osx.

On thing I would warn you about though, is that the graphics card on the macbook is not very powerful for 3d applications. If you want to play games, you should go for the macbook pro instead (or a desktop).

OSX is great, I have a windows desktop pc and a macbook (white 1ghz). I really like the laptop, although I haven't tried poker on it, I've heard it works well.

The price was also good, very cheap compared to other laptops of similar specs.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:49 PM

I've been a mac user for 5 years. You won't regret it. The macbook is an excellent choice.

From a poker perspective, rooms are starting to hear the call of mac users. As you're probably aware, Full Tilt has an excellent mac client. And Party recently announced both a 'no download' java client, as well as a downloadable Mac client. Both are currently beta, so they're play money only, but they look solid and will likely be released soon.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:23 PM

Cons: It's a Mac.

What poker software supports Mac?
Old 08-30-2006, 03:55 PM

I have a MacBook Pro and love it. Boots XP without problem, and they recently updated the Boot Camp drivers so there's now Windows support for the built in iSight camera. But I would echo the previous comment that the basic MacBooks has weak graphics support, as the video chip uses system RAM and I believe maxes out at 32MB.

If you're going to do any serious non-poker gaming, get the MacBook Pro, which has 256MB dedicated video RAM.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As stated above:

Full Tilt, Pokerroom (and skins), and Party (download client in beta as we speak).

Additionally, ANY major site can be run on a mac book without a ton of effort through a couple different methods.

If you're going to respond to posts with nonsense, just for the sake of responding, then join us in BBV. But at least allow people here with valid questions to get them answered reasonably.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now since macs have the new intel chip, and you can run Windows XP with parallels, it is now the can do all laptop. So you can run any windows programs.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been a mac user for 15 years. You won't regret it.

[/ QUOTE ]

My darkest day was when I ordered a Dell e1705, and the day it shipped Apple announced Boot Camp. For the money I spent on the Dell I could have got a Mac Mini, a 20-inch monitor and a copy of XP. Even though I bought the Dell for poker, I find I play Full Tilt more often than any other, because I can play it on my dual G5 desktop.

Macs are built to last, the Macbooks are lighter/sleeker than almost any comparable machine, and once you can A/B Mac OS and Windows you won't want to go back.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I know there are little to none viruses/trojans/keyloggerfor the MacOS, can you confirm that ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can confirm that there are none of these things "in the wild."

It may not always be so, but it has been for about 15 years now, and it's an EV+ bet that it will never even be close to the level that it currently is with windows.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for trying to be funny. I would appreciate a little knowledge about the topic if posting!

To all the other guys who actually cared so far, BIG THANKS [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]