Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 12:35 AM

Default Interesting religious occurrence today, thoughts?

My friend just told me a story today, and I wanted to know how you guys (particularly atheists) would explain it. Let me preface by saying I do not believe that this proves the existence of God. However, many atheists on here claim there is no God because they come up with scenarios that Christians ignore/can't explain, but not too many discuss it the other way around. Here it goes...

A friend from my church was at lunch with her friend. She saw a girl sitting at another table, and felt like God wanted her to go talk to the girl. She ignored it at first, thinking it was her own thoughts, but then the girl kept looking at her, and her friend asked her if she knew the girl, so she finally decided she should go talk to her. (Keep in mind, it is not normal for my friend to just start talking to strangers based on God telling her to) She said, "You might think I'm crazy, but God told me to come talk to you, and to tell you that I know something horrible happened in your past, but that if you don't stop looking in your rearview mirror, you're going to crash." The girl responded by saying, "When I was 19, I had a baby and gave her up for adoption, and I've regretted it ever since, and today is her birthday."

I just want to know what you guys think about this, and why things like this happen every day.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Interesting religious occurrence today, thoughts?

i predict big things for this thread.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i predict big things for this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me start it off with a bang:

Occurances like this are far more terrifying for Christians than for atheists. If there is proof that God exists, your whole life is meaningless.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:44 AM

Okay, but my point is that atheists say things that Christians ignore/can't explain, and atheists believe this helps prove Christianity is false. I'm just asking that atheists explain these occurrences instead of ignoring them.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My friend just told me a story today, and I wanted to know how you guys (particularly atheists) would explain it. Let me preface by saying I do not believe that this proves the existence of God. However, many atheists on here claim there is no God because they come up with scenarios that Christians ignore/can't explain, but not too many discuss it the other way around. Here it goes...

A friend from my church was at lunch with her friend. She saw a girl sitting at another table, and felt like God wanted her to go talk to the girl. She ignored it at first, thinking it was her own thoughts, but then the girl kept looking at her, and her friend asked her if she knew the girl, so she finally decided she should go talk to her. (Keep in mind, it is not normal for my friend to just start talking to strangers based on God telling her to) She said, "You might think I'm crazy, but God told me to come talk to you, and to tell you that I know something horrible happened in your past, but that if you don't stop looking in your rearview mirror, you're going to crash." The girl responded by saying, "When I was 19, I had a baby and gave her up for adoption, and I've regretted it ever since, and today is her birthday."

I just want to know what you guys think about this, and why things like this happen every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just an hour ago I was thinking ``god does not exist so I am going to step sideways right now''. Just after I did, a sopersonic flying cabbage zoomed through the air just where my head had been!

My anecdote/urban myth beats your anecdote/urban myth. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2007, 12:53 AM

The girl who gave up her kid was obviously dwelling on it, and probably looked down. Christian girl saw this, and felt like being nice to a stranger and talking to her. Since she's Christian it was obviously God telling her to do so.

What if the girl at the table said something along the lines of "Uh...I'm just fine, but thanks anyway"? I'd be willing to bet that this story was never shared with anyone. Christians are always harping on and on about these "great" things that happen through the will of God or whatever, but what about the all the times when things don't happen that way?

Think of the thousands of Mormons that roam neighborhoods going door to door talking about their church. They probably get a hundred doors slammed in their faces, but if they "get through" to one person it totally explains that it was God's will that they talk to this person. It's simple probability. For the thousands of people they talk to it's pretty obvious they will find some people who will genuinely listen to what they are saying. You just won't ever hear about the many more people who slam the door in their face.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, but my point is that atheists say things that Christians ignore/can't explain, and atheists believe this helps prove Christianity is false. I'm just asking that atheists explain these occurrences instead of ignoring them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't put much stock in proving Christianity is false. The burden of proof is on the Christians, not me.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't put much stock in proving Christianity is false. The burden of proof is on the Christians, not me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, this story only proves one thing: the immutable power of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. This is exactly his style.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:59 AM

So your friend saw a girl sitting by herself looking sad, and she thought "maybe I should go talk to this girl and tell her about Jesus and then she will be all happy and everthing, because that is what the bible says I should do".
So she does and finds out about this girls sad story and decides "ZOMG Jesus spoke to me and told me to talk to this girl"!?

I don't see how this means anything.

BTW I am not an atheist, I'm 'still searching for the answers' as it were.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:03 AM

Your friend saw a girl looking sad, and decided to talk to her, telling her that something bad had happened to her??.....

WHOA!!!!!!! It's got to be God or a magic trick... I mean nothing else can explain that right????

(And BTW, you would be going ape [censored] if that review mirror thing had actually meant something to the girl, wouldn't you??? When you remember the hits, don't forget the misses...)