Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 06:30 PM

Default Starting Hands late in a tournament

Hi,

in the home games (STT) that I play I'm never sure which starting hands I should play when there are fewer players left. I'm usually a tight-aggressive player who generally plays the quality hands that all the books say you should start off with (and this helps me in my games as almost everyone else is pretty loose - chance to pick them off). I do get more aggressive as the blinds go up, I'm just wondering how much I should open up with. For example, < 4 players do you play and A-x, K-x? (even raise with practically any A-x).
I know a lot of this also depends on the players you play against (and the reads you have on them) as well as which position you're in and the chip stacks. I'm just wondering if there could be some standard chart (as a reference) for short-handed play as there is for starting a tournament.
Also on a related note what hands would be worth to call big raises late in tournaments (as your hands you can call with increase as the tournament progresses I imagine). For example, would you call with mid suited connectors?
I know my questions are a bit general (no exact situations) but I'm just looking for some sort of reference point.
Thanks.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Starting Hands late in a tournament

Angel Largay has a book called No Limit Hold Em A Complete Course. It does not deal with tournament play but it has tables in the back that gives a hands pre-flop equity against N-handed game where N ranges from 2 to 10.