Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Re: HSP: Why do you watch?

OP, I know where you're coming from. I'm more entertained when I watch a more competitive game, and I've begun to rewatch episodes from season 1 and 2. HSP has definitely changed since it began, presumably in a way that attracts more viewers. This is most easily noticed by the player lists. Action players (or players that are entertaining for reasons other than their poker skills) are being invited back more and getting more screen time (such as Hellmuth, Gold, Farha, Eli, etc.). Even the high-roller businessmen seem to be action junkies.

I'm more entertained watching Greenstein play than watching Farha or Eli, but I'm probably the minority. I suppose it's also possible that the producers actually have difficulty finding "interesting" hands to show when they have players like Greenstein, but those "interesting" hands are easier to come across watching players like Eli and Farha, since they play a lot more hands.

My suggestion to OP: rewatch season 1 and 2.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:32 PM

i love it when they go all in
Old 10-09-2007, 09:08 PM

All I can say is.. if high stakes game are really like this game then I have so much to look forward to! 20/40 NL isnt exactly like this - its a lot more grinders and seriousness and good play. I dont see quite the amazing reads though at 20/40 NL that I do in this game, this players sometimes seem like they are psychic.

I'd love to play on this show but I dont know if I fit the stereotype. Im kinda a boring player i think.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i can't believe that there actually exist nits that cry about bad play on a televised poker show.

fgators - maybe you should look for poker tips somewhere else.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT - over half the posts in every hsp thread are complaining that everyone isnt playing TAG ABC poker, and it blows my mind
Old 10-09-2007, 10:11 PM

It amazes me that people on this forum can make comments about how these people on HSP play! How would you know?

When Phil Hellmuth left the table the other players were complaining about how his seat should have been given to a player that would actually play. It seems that Phil disappeared for about an hour an a half - but I swear I only saw about 5 minutes of program without him.

Has it occurred to any of you that we are seeing only a fraction of the action? This is a heavily edited show and therefore you are not seeing how anyone plays, you are just seeing some plays that they made in the course of this poker session.

I watch HSP for entertainment only - it is a fun show to watch.

To learn from watching pro poker players in action you need to watch a show were most of the hands are show, not just the action hands. I find Poker After Dark reasonably educational, whereas HSP just isn't.

It is also important to remember that you can only learn so much from watching others or reading books - you need experience and practice to understand the poker concepts properly. Read some books, watch some programs - but you will then need to play some poker to see how it really works .
Old 10-09-2007, 10:59 PM

I watch mainly for the entertainment value... As others have said, it's fun watching the pros GAMBOOL! Plus it's like an inside look at the life of a pro. Speaking of which...

My only real gripe with it is (as someone else said) when Gabe and AJ are talking in the middle of the table talk. I want to hear what they're talking about, not the announcers needling each other.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:15 PM

Watching "good" poker is pretty lame.

Ohhh, he 4 bet me w/ A5 b/c he knows I 3 bet light.

Maybe we should have a show w/ 6 grinders playing vs eachother on 8 different tables. I'm guessing the public would love that.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:21 PM

I watch to hear them say lol donkaments
Old 10-09-2007, 11:32 PM

It is somewhat underwhelming watching the players from the early-to-middle season episodes of HSP. Even huge bluffs from Sammy and Jamie seem reckless more than strong plays, and aren't particularly entertaining. Watching Bob Safai trying to outwit Jamie Gold holds none of the fascination of Barry versus Doyle.

I think it's apparent though that GSN saves its best lineups (and hence best poker for those who play poker) for the end of season episodes. Day three of this season seems a carefully selected lineup and will be the poker-for-poker-players episodes. We just gotta put up with days one and two is all.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Serious question: Do you watch the NFL to get better at football?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said IMO.