Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Peter Luger\'s TR (Brooklyn)

Luger’s is definitely better than Dylan Prime and Morton’s, but they’re all very good. I’m eating at Strip House for the first time this Sunday and will try to remember to post a trip report/comparison. (What should I order there?)

Nobody says “porterhouse” at Luger’s. They just say “steak.”
Old 08-29-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
bacon. . .you missed the bacon.

next time, get 1.5 orders for the table. 4 people means 6 orders of bacon.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT.

Trip is a failure without a bacon appetizer -- at least one strip per person. (And for you non-Lugerites, a strip of bacon is not always a strip of bacon.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, bacon is key along with the spinach.

Funny to see there's always a few people who say, 'my buddy went there and he said he didn't like it ldo.'

It simply dominates the Zagat rankings every single year, and is way, better than any Morton's, Ruth's, Delmonico's chains.

[/ QUOTE ]

why is this funny? i wanted to see if anyone else had a similar experience, and if it was worth all the hype.

oh oh, i get it, it's not a chain.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:43 PM

I've eaten in Lugers several times (used to live pretty close to it) and it's the best steak I've eaten. I haven't been to many of the other places that people say rival it in Manhattan though. I've frequently heard people say that so and so's is better but rarely that Lugers is underwhelming.

The majority of folks I ate with there loved it too, the few exceptions were people who didn't like their steak quite as rare as they pretty much force you to have it there.

Oddjob, where does your chef friend work - anywhere in NY? (Thinly veiled trap)
Old 08-29-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've eaten in Lugers several times (used to live pretty close to it) and it's the best steak I've eaten. I haven't been to many of the other places that people say rival it in Manhattan though. I've frequently heard people say that so and so's is better but rarely that Lugers is underwhelming.

The majority of folks I ate with there loved it too, the few exceptions were people who didn't like their steak quite as rare as they pretty much force you to have it there.

Oddjob, where does your chef friend work - anywhere in NY? (Thinly veiled trap)

[/ QUOTE ]

he's doing food styling, and doing some consulting work with his old head chef at fatty crab. meat packing district, and absolutely delicious. malaysian inspired food.

he used to work the line at craft beforehand.

btw, he never said, so and so restaurant was better. he just said he was a bit underwhelmed. i was dissappointed, cause i had just moved to williamsburg, and close to it, and since he was the only one i knew that in nyc that would drop so cash at a place like that, he definitely wasn't big into going back.

i just wanted to go as the experience of seeing a bunch of guidos in tracksuits eating steak. that and eating a big ass steak
Old 08-29-2007, 06:02 PM

I feel like a tool doing this, because I've never been and I'm not from NY, but I've read enough threads to know

Peter Luger

not

Peter Luger's
Old 08-29-2007, 06:20 PM

Many, many NYers say Luger's.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:34 PM

Dibs,

Why are you talking? Are you trying to become TT? As byen wrote, and I wrote the last time this discussion came up, tons of NYC locals refer to it as Luger's.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:35 PM

oj,

"that and eating a big ass steak"

A big ass steak is not really what you get there.

I think it's great, but as I said in the recent NY steakhouse thread, I think it's overrated.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whaddya think of mortons? Ive never been to a chain steakhouse, and was thinking of hitting mortons or ruths (probably mortons).

[/ QUOTE ]

guids,

Of the "chain" steakhouses, I prefer the Palm.

Last time I was in STL I went to Mike Shannon's and was pretty disappointed. The steak was not cooked right, had sat for a while before they brought it to me, and didn't seem like it would've been that great regardless.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
whaddya think of mortons? Ive never been to a chain steakhouse, and was thinking of hitting mortons or ruths (probably mortons).

[/ QUOTE ]

guids,

Of the "chain" steakhouses, I prefer the Palm.

Last time I was in STL I went to Mike Shannon's and was pretty disappointed. The steak was not cooked right, had sat for a while before they brought it to me, and didn't seem like it would've been that great regardless.

[/ QUOTE ]

shannon's sucks, the only steak house that i can say rivals anything in any other big city in teh country is Citizen Kane's. but I hate kirkwood