Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 05:30 PM

Default Re: On The Lot

I know "lightbulb girl" irl (she's friend of a couple close friends and a girl I dated).

She's quite smart... and funny.

I have no idea why her shorts and work on the show in general have been so terrible.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i really don't like it as much now that they are in the theatre. i prefer all the behind the scenes stuff. now it's been spielbergized. that chick who hosts is very inauthentic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you on the behind the scenes stuff. The main reason I tuned in to watch this show in the first place is because I was hoping that it would have a lot of behind the scenes footage. I was really hoping it would be like Project Greenlight. I want to see how these guys overcome obstacles and find out what the art of filmmaking is all about. I really want to see these guys directing some actors, damn it.

p.s. I, too, am a little creeped out by your avatar.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:36 PM

I was excited about this show when I first heard about it. It lost its appeal when they altered the format (due to bad ratings, if you're inclined to believe the internet) and stopped showing any of the process.

The host is also really really annoying.

There are definitely some talented people on the show but I'm not convinced any of them could make a compelling feature.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:49 PM

this is so ridiculous: the host is trying to create suspense over which five will show their films on this episode. format of the show is getting worse. had such potential.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know "lightbulb girl" irl (she's friend of a couple close friends and a girl I dated).

She's quite smart... and funny.

I have no idea why her shorts and work on the show in general have been so terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sucks that she's been dubbed "lightbulb girl" after that absolutely dreadful 1 minute piece then.

Thought for sure she was gone after that. Who exactly voted for that film? That's what I want to know.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
show is getting worse. had such potential.

[/ QUOTE ]

Left the important part.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:34 AM

I think I could make it onto this show based off what I have seen from this show thus far. Only been at this for 2 yrs in film school and have made 3 shorts w/o dialogue. Check out the last one I did, tell me what you think. It's a rough cut cause I filmed in one day and edited that night.

youtube link (the piece of paper just has a little box on it you can't see cause of youtube quality)

edit: zomg how hot is Adriana btw. I think she's the biggest reason I want to get on this show, lawl
Old 06-24-2007, 02:27 PM

I watched your short film, Popinjay. Sorry it took so long.

Here are my thoughts. First off, I liked your film and I'm amazed you shot it in one day. Not bad at all! Not that it doesn't have flaws, but that's pretty impressive for one day's work. I think you have a lot of good ideas. My favorite parts were definitely the beginning and the ending which I thought were really cool and had a unique feel. The opening is very intriguing. I thought maybe he had dropped something down the grate and I was straining to see what it was.

I especially liked the ending and the way you shot it. Just very strong work there. This is where I think you shined. I can see great things in the future for you.

I have two criticisms of your film (please don't get mad! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ):

1) the story is not clear from the get go. Is the guy on a college campus? Is he saying "why did I come?" meaning college? It's really not clear to the audience what the setting is supposed to be; and

2) you shoot too up close in the middle of the film and it is pretty dark on You Tube. I really wanted you to pull back. I don't mind some closeups here and there as it adds a certain quality and ambiance. But if everything is super tight in the middle of the film it gets claustrophobic for me and almost feels like you are forcing an idea instead of letting the audience figure things out. Don't know if that makes any sense. Anyway, I'm going to say - please pull back! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I would love for your film to have had talking. I really wanted to know what they were saying in that apartment. I think that would have added a texture and reality. I think the fact that I wanted to know what they were saying is evidence that you hooked me. Nice job.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I watched your short film, Popinjay. Sorry it took so long.

Here are my thoughts. First off, I liked your film and I'm amazed you shot it in one day. Not bad at all! Not that it doesn't have flaws, but that's pretty impressive for one day's work. I think you have a lot of good ideas. My favorite parts were definitely the beginning and the ending which I thought were really cool and had a unique feel. The opening is very intriguing. I thought maybe he had dropped something down the grate and I was straining to see what it was.

I especially liked the ending and the way you shot it. Just very strong work there. This is where I think you shined. I can see great things in the future for you.

I have two criticisms of your film (please don't get mad! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ):

1) the story is not clear from the get go. Is the guy on a college campus? Is he saying "why did I come?" meaning college? It's really not clear to the audience what the setting is supposed to be; and

2) you shoot too up close in the middle of the film and it is pretty dark on You Tube. I really wanted you to pull back. I don't mind some closeups here and there as it adds a certain quality and ambiance. But if everything is super tight in the middle of the film it gets claustrophobic for me and almost feels like you are forcing an idea instead of letting the audience figure things out. Don't know if that makes any sense. Anyway, I'm going to say - please pull back! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I would love for your film to have had talking. I really wanted to know what they were saying in that apartment. I think that would have added a texture and reality. I think the fact that I wanted to know what they were saying is evidence that you hooked me. Nice job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow thanks for your nice comments. I agree with most of what you said and a lot of it was because i filmed this on a $0 budget. it was actually a great experience to do for some reason, real reason was a lot of conflicting factors, and taught me a lot. It's really why I think i can compete on On The Lot, except I gotta learn me some special effects like Will.

Any special effects gurus wanna tell me how to get started???

PS: I haven't shown this film to many people who have critiqued it, practically only my film professor who gave me a B+ (??).
Old 06-26-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any special effects gurus wanna tell me how to get started???

PS: I haven't shown this film to many people who have critiqued it, practically only my film professor who gave me a B+ (??).

[/ QUOTE ]

Do they have specific courses in film school that teach special effects? I'm curious myself how one learns this trade. You need to apprentice yourself to someone. I imagine there is a lot written about it on the internet. I would hope, anyway.

No one else wants to critique Popinjay's short film? come on Loungers! Pretend you're like Garry Marshall or Carrie Fisher and put on your judge's hat. (try to stay out of the medicine cabinet beforehand) Keep in mind he made the film in one day on $0 budget. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Not bad! Could he get into the next round of On The Lot? I really liked his ending and think our 2+2er shows a lot of potential.