Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Saudi Arabia - to go, or not to go

I have a good friend working over there and it's fine, working for a big oil company you will be super safe and sequestered at all times. I think it's 100X safer than Israel and Americans go there all the time, so chill.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:53 PM

I worked there for two weeks (computer related) before the war. It was OK for me (I don't drink), but I would definitely NOT recommend it for women.
1) I stayed in an American enclave - even had a mixed-sex beach with women wearing bikinis [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
2) I always traveled with a company rep who had been there a while and knew the ropes.
3) Always carry the "standard bribe" in cash with you at all times.
4) Be respectful of the religious police - they are the worst. Be sure not to be too obvious during prayer times. (We were at a restaurant and had to eat in the kitchen during prayers so as not to be visible from the street.)
5) Local food is OK. Egyptian onions are very hot.
6) Go to Dubai for fun.
7) If you drive (we had to) be VERY careful. They drive like maniacs (left turns from right lanes when light goes green, for example) and if you get in an accident with Saudis, you are screwed. We had a big Toyota Land Cruiser and that was OK.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:56 PM

based on my experience i think it will be safe. every place is supposedly dangerous, but when people actualy go there it turns out to be okay. my roomate studied in france last semester, i asked him how the anti american sentment was... he said there was none, the people hate american policies not american people. and france is notorious for being anti american.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:58 PM

france and saudi arabia are not anything alike, one is a western secular country and one is basically a monarchy/dictatorship without equal rights and all that jazz we take for granted...
Old 02-14-2007, 11:04 PM

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...w/tw_1764.html
Current Travel Warnings

Saudi Arabia is actually one of the few on there. Some good advice on that page.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:11 PM

I actually have lived in both Saudi Arabia and Singapore for ~5 years each.

I think I can guess how you arrived your opinion about Singapore, but the perception that you have in your mind is far from reality. It's a fun place with a lot to do and you get in trouble for pretty much the same things that you'd get in trouble for here. The gum chewing thing is always blown out of proportion by the media here. Anyway, I'd elaborate, but since this isn't one of your options, I'll focus on Saudi Arabia.

It would be helpful to know what city you'll be in. But in any event for just a two week visit, I wouldn't be worried in the slightest. It's safe, and you'd almost kind of have to be trying to get in trouble to have anything happen. There are LOTS of foriegn workers there, and they normally just socialize with each other. They also don't live in constant fear as you might believe. As other posters have pointed out, there is not much to do (no alcohol, etc.), so if you are the rare person that can't handle that sort of thing for two weeks, then obviously you shouldn't go. If you are the kind of person that is into travel and different cultures, then I'd recommend going just to see what it's like. Even if there wasn't much of a pay increase.

If not, then here's how I'd look at it. Don't consider the safety part, because that really is pretty much a non-issue for most mature adults who are respectful of other people. Just think of it as a really boring two weeks. How much would someone have to pay you to work from a hotel room without leaving for two weeks, without having any friends over, and possibly with less TV and internet access (Saudi govt blocks some sites, but with your job you may be able to get around that)? I am not suggesting that you wouldn't/shouldn't leave your room, I just think that this scenario leads to about the same amount of boredom that you would experience if you attached no value to experiencing a different culture.

Your answer to that question is the ballpark for what rate you should accept.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:14 PM

If you're paid 4x, that's 6 extra weeks salary for 2 weeks of work plus the (presumably unpaid?) hassle of travel to and from Saudi, where you don't want to go? Nahhh. Maybe if you get 5-6x.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:44 PM

i think you shud go. not too many ppl get a chance to see such a place.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:59 PM

Thank you all for the good insight. The information that I've been gathering has been strongly negative from people who looked things up on the internet or watch the news, and indifferent/"it's not that bad at all" from people who have been there.

It's still a very tough call with my girlfriend being pretty dead set against it, since why should I take any risk at all for just money, but I think that my fears were more ill founded than I had at first thought.

As long as I don't run around saying how much I love bacon and making Arab jokes, I'm guessing that I'd be fine.

Thanks again.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:23 AM

People have some strange misconceptions about Singapore.

They give the dealth penalty for importing certain amounts of drugs, in America you get a much more humane sentence of life in prison.

Bubble gum and littering is illegal, but its not like its a police state. It is a very wealthy country, and it has one of the least corrupt governments on the planet, and the girls all dress super sexy and are really fashionable. The food is OK.