Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2006, 10:47 PM

Default The Well: goofyballer

[ QUOTE ]
A stranger is being shown around a village that he has just become part of. He is shown a well and his guide says "On any day except tuesday, you can shout any question down that well and you'll be told the answer" . The man seems pretty impressed, and so he shouts down: Why not on tuesday? and the voice from in the well shouts back: Because on tuesday, its your day in teh well .

So my idea is that every weekend, one poster starts up this thread and is "in the well" for the weekend. I'll start this weekend. You may ask me any question about whatever you like. Whether it be about life/SSNL/poker/sport....whatever, as crazy or as sensible as you like, and I will answer to the best of my abilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently the people want me and tufat is bored so here I am.

I love rambling about stuff so if you want to pick a subject for me to discuss in tl;dr length, go for it. And of course, random questions about anything else as well.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:48 PM

Default Re: The Well: goofyballer

If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?
Old 09-19-2006, 10:49 PM

who is the worst well known poster? what piece of advice do you see often that causes you to smack your forehead and make sarcastic commets?
Old 09-19-2006, 10:49 PM

Can you post more pics of your sister? kthnx
Old 09-19-2006, 10:58 PM

How do you play flush/straight draws in limped pots. Say you are on BB, 4 to the flop and you flop the nfd, small fd or oesd. Lead for pot or play it passively?
Old 09-19-2006, 10:59 PM

how old are you?

what do you consider your greatest poker accomplishment?

what do you consider your greatest real life accomplishment?

what do you think your biggest leak is?

what do you think your greatest strength is (in poker that is)?

who is the chick in your avatar?
Old 09-19-2006, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?

[/ QUOTE ]

A redwood; they are tall and majestic, and there's a lot of them in California where I grew up.

[ QUOTE ]
who is the worst well known poster? what piece of advice do you see often that causes you to smack your forehead and make sarcastic commets?

[/ QUOTE ]

I consider the well known posters to all be good and competent, or else they wouldn't be well-known [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] So yes, I'm going to weasel out of this question, I don't like putting people down, and honestly if someone's a crappy poster I tend to not notice/remember them.

The kind of advice that makes me smack my forehead is generally quick one-liners that don't explain thinking at all. When players come to this forum looking for advice, we need to teach them how to fish, not just throw them a fish. I like asking questions and engaging in debate; threads where people do that turn out to be infinitely more productive in terms of improving everyone's game than simple quick answers. Granted, some hands are pretty standard and don't need a lot of explanation, but I still like people explaining their thinking so that the OP can gain the knowledge they sought from posting.

[ QUOTE ]
Can you post more pics of your sister? kthnx

[/ QUOTE ]

That depends, can you offer free coaching in return? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2006, 11:01 PM

Tell me three great songs I've probably never heard but can get off iTunes.

If you had to choose between giving up the internet for the rest of your life or growing an unremovable human thumb off the end of your chin, which would it be?

Give basic details about yourself including age, occupation, single/married, future job aspirations, location, schooling.

Who would you choose to become the next U.S. president from the current available pool of candidates?

Which of the following would you legalize: marijuana, hard drugs, gay marriage, prostitution, grimstarr
Old 09-19-2006, 11:12 PM

descibe what you think the perfect strategy for getting your sister to go out wih 1 of us would be
Old 09-19-2006, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you play flush/straight draws in limped pots. Say you are on BB, 4 to the flop and you flop the nfd, small fd or oesd. Lead for pot or play it passively?

[/ QUOTE ]

I switch it up depending on my opponents and the board texture. I'm also more likely to lead and try to build a pot with the NFD or an OESD to the nuts on a rainbow board than I am a smaller flush draw or an OESD that isn't to the nuts or is on a two-tone flop (meaning that I only have 6 clean outs instead of 8). I'm least likely to bet if I think exactly one person will call me; being HU when you brick the turn is somewhat awkward. However, if I suspect that I'll either take it down or bring a couple people along with me, then I bet because taking it down is obviously a good thing and I don't mind building a pot with ~33% equity when I have multiple players who can pay me off. This isn't necessarily perfect; I know dbitel hates leading with draws in these situations. Maybe it would be a good subject for a thread. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
how old are you?

what do you consider your greatest poker accomplishment?

what do you consider your greatest real life accomplishment?

what do you think your biggest leak is?

what do you think your greatest strength is (in poker that is)?

who is the chick in your avatar?

[/ QUOTE ]

Greatest poker accomplishment: That's a tough one, I've never really had any big MTT scores or anything. I think managing to be a somewhat successful player is pretty good in itself (although I've had a lot of trouble at .5/1). Last year when I was still a relative noob I bought an HDTV with money I made grinding NL $25 which I thought was super cool at the time; I set a goal for myself to grind out the money for it in a couple months, and I was happy to have achieved that.

Greatest real life accomplishment: Monterey County Mathletes champion in the Calculus AB division in 2002! BAM! I wouldn't say I've achieved anything in itself which is pretty great, but I've won a couple intramural championships at school in basketball and softball which I thought was pretty cool, and the last two summers I worked as a video game tester for 2K Sports, and I thought that working on games (there's a lot of work involved in testing), getting my name on the credits, etc. was pretty cool since I'm hoping to be a game programmer once I graduate.

Biggest leak: I posted a thread in the Psych forum about this the other day, but I think my biggest leak is that I don't play my A-game enough of the time. I get in states of mind where I'm easily frustrated and make stupid calls, and that really kills my winrate. I'm trying to combat this by moving up to 1/2 (lol play bad, move up) so that hopefully I can disassociate myself from the money more easily at .5/1. I'm actually liking 1/2 so far though so who knows, maybe I'll stick around.

Biggest strength: When I am playing my A-game, I think I'm a very solid player that makes very few mistakes. When I'm at my best, I feel like I get a lot of value out of my big hands, read opponents well, make tough folds when necessary, and maximize EV whenever possible. So, you could see why I'd like to eliminate this problem of not playing my A-game often enough [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Chick in my avatar: Lucia Moniz, Portuguese singer/actress. She was in the movie "Love, Actually" and was super hot. Some disagree, but they're just haters.

Gonna go watch TV for an hour or two, back in a bit.