Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 08:06 PM

Default Value of a HUD at uNL?

Most of you know I currently am grinding it out at Stars uNL tables. I have and use PT, because meticulous record keeping helps fight self-deception, and self-deception is a gambler's Original Sin.

I'm wondering about a HUD, though. I currently play 2 tables at a time, although that may go to four in the next few months. At the moment I have no trouble two-tabling without a HUD.

What I'm wondering is will a HUD really be +EV at the level I play? FR uNL really just rewards tight/aggresive ABC play. I feel I can do that just fine without a HUD.

At what level of FR NL would you all say using a HUD is +EV? Or is it not so much the level as the number of tables at a time?
Old 05-23-2007, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Value of a HUD at uNL?

it helps at any level.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:34 PM

You will probably want to get it eventually, so you might as well now, PaceHUD is only like 25$ anyway. I can see how it would be usefull to recognize people you haven't played with in a few days also, you can react a lot quicker if someone raises if there stats are right in front of you.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:40 PM

Phy,

I play 6-max (just moved from 10NL to 25NL) rather than fr, but I really like my HUD even for single-tabling. People come and go fairly quickly and I like that the stats are right there on the table (or a single pop-up click away). I also like the way past stats are available as soon as a villain joins the table so long as you've played with him previously, whether or not you remember him. The price is only $25 iirc, so it isn't terrible even for the micros.

Having said that, HUD is definitely not required. If you can keep track of what's going on at the number of tables you are playing, are sticking to ABC, and are willing to be particularly tight when you first join a table until you have good visual reads, then HUD really is more of a luxury than a neccessity imo.

I suspect that HUD is a bit like any other convenience (think TIVO, for example) in that once you've tried it, there's no going back!
Old 05-23-2007, 08:52 PM

Interesting. I have been debating this same thing. At least for NL10. My deal is that I very rarely have enough hands with a player for the stats to be of much value, and the play at this level is so eratic that its hard to get true stat reads other than just being generally loose or aggressive. Just watching hands can give you this kind of info.

The other thing it does is make me too confident. I start trying to make moves just becuase a players stats suck. This is a personal problem I need to overcome and has just killed me the last couple of weeks.

I try to make notes on players when I see them show down a monster or when they do something spewy like call down with middle pair. This seems to work well for me and will continue to be my main information until I get used to using the HUD stats as well.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:58 PM

IMO it's useful (I play 25NL).
Not essential by any means but useful for sure.
I used to stick to 2 tables but now I've increased to 4 tables I think it's worth will become more apparent.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:04 PM

Even if u don't use it while you're playing it's IMO essential when it comes to table selection. Just open 12 tables, datamine them for 10-30 minutes and sit down at the ones with the highest vpip.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:15 PM

yea i think having a HUD is def. +EV. I dont see the point in not using one since it is not expensive at all to purchase+ you will almost positively make it back on the tables by using it in the long run.