Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 10:56 AM

Default 06\' USPC: DeMichelle 88 vs Jacob KQ hand

DeMichelle said something about Jacob having "A5 again". Did Jacob show that A5 bluff where he restole from DeMichelle? Or was DeMichelle just speculating?
Old 05-25-2007, 11:02 AM

Default Re: 06\' USPC: DeMichelle 88 vs Jacob KQ hand

I'm surprised DeMichele didn't flatcall the raise.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:19 PM

Me too. I forget exactly what the stacks were, but I believe Jacob was at like 2.2 or 2.3mil while DeMichelle was right at 2mil.

Jacob opens for 80k? D makes it 300k to go, Jacob pushes.
I don't mind the raise to 300k so much, but calling off your remaining 1.7ish or so seems kind of spewish. Even if he shows him KQ face up I think it's a marginal call.

Flat calling the 80k would seem like a better line. But what do I know. I couldn't have made some of the sick ass bluffs DeMichelle made in that tournament either.

That hand with Eric Crane where he re-re-stole w/ KQ? Siiiiiiiiick! Loved that one...
Old 05-25-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if he shows him KQ face up I think it's a marginal call.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you mean its in an instacall? nothing marginal about it
Old 05-25-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, no I meant it was M-A-R-G-I-N-A-L... at best.

I found a recap of the hand from the boston herald archives..
[ QUOTE ]

With blinds at 12,000 and 24,000, antes 4,000, there were only three players left to contend for the USPC crown. Jacob was sitting on the button with approximately 2 million chips. Looking down, he was pleased to see Kh-Qh, prompting him to raise to 75,000. Michael DeMichele, who was second in chips with just under 2 million, looked down to see his own solid hand, 8d-8c. Struggling over his decision, DeMichele finally raised to 300,000. After Jordan Morgan - the short stack at the table with less than a million chips - quickly folded from the big blind, Jacob had to make a pivotal decision.
Jacob believed that since Morgan was short-stacked, DeMichele wouldn’t call and risk being eliminated without a monster hand. With the prize money difference between second and third place close to $200,000, Jacob felt DeMichele would fold with a strong reraise.
“I’m all-in,” Jacob announced.

[/ QUOTE ]

So blinds at 12/24k and ~1.7mil behind.. 88 is FAR from an instacall. Not saying it was a bad call, but it just seemed like DeMichelle had an uncanny knack for picking up chips by putting pressure on his opponents so why would he want to put in a spot where he had to "call" for his tournament life.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, no I meant it was M-A-R-G-I-N-A-L... at best.

I found a recap of the hand from the boston herald archives..
[ QUOTE ]

With blinds at 12,000 and 24,000, antes 4,000, there were only three players left to contend for the USPC crown. Jacob was sitting on the button with approximately 2 million chips. Looking down, he was pleased to see Kh-Qh, prompting him to raise to 75,000. Michael DeMichele, who was second in chips with just under 2 million, looked down to see his own solid hand, 8d-8c. Struggling over his decision, DeMichele finally raised to 300,000. After Jordan Morgan - the short stack at the table with less than a million chips - quickly folded from the big blind, Jacob had to make a pivotal decision.
Jacob believed that since Morgan was short-stacked, DeMichele wouldn’t call and risk being eliminated without a monster hand. With the prize money difference between second and third place close to $200,000, Jacob felt DeMichele would fold with a strong reraise.
“I’m all-in,” Jacob announced.

[/ QUOTE ]

So blinds at 12/24k and ~1.7mil behind.. 88 is FAR from an instacall. Not saying it was a bad call, but it just seemed like DeMichelle had an uncanny knack for picking up chips by putting pressure on his opponents so why would he want to put in a spot where he had to "call" for his tournament life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am talking about your example where Jacob turns his hand face up on the table and shows kQ. I am now instacalling with 88.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There was another thread over in the TV poker section with a long discussion on this hand. DeMichele (TStoneMBD) was involved in that discussion.

I still feel that DeMichele made a tournament tactical error by choosing to tangle with Jacobs in that spot, especially when Morgan was short-stacked.

The decision cost DeMichele at least $200K in real money, if not $600K.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There was another thread over in the TV poker section with a long discussion on this hand. DeMichele (TStoneMBD) was involved in that discussion.

I still feel that DeMichele made a tournament tactical error by choosing to tangle with Jacobs in that spot, especially when Morgan was short-stacked.

The decision cost DeMichele at least $200K in real money, if not $600K.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really agree here. He can't just let Alex run them over, or he's going to have a hell of a time winning the tournament. Yea you have to look making that extra 200k, but you gotta play to take the win. I'm not sure what I think about this hand, and I can't really make an oppinion on the hand as this is such a feel play on both sides.

I do give DeMichelle credit for having some big balls.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:23 PM

Here's the Boston Herald Link:
http://sports.bostonherald.com/other...icleid=1000946
Old 05-26-2007, 03:38 AM

hi jaroot, yah jacobs showed his a5 play face up on the table, for some reason they didn't show that on tv. also right after that hand alex paid me off with (i think) ace high when I had top pair because I think he thought I was tilting from his a5 shove. they didn't show that hand either.

ps, thanks for the kind words in your pm.