Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Ann Coulter: We Want Jews To Be \"Perfected\"

[ QUOTE ]
There are also plenty of converted Jews out there (I think the total number these days is around 10%? Not sure) and the intermarriage percentage of Jews in the US is around 50%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but who takes them seriously? Religion is a joke for most (non Orthodox) American Jews. It is almost purely an ethnic identity but most are uncomfortable with this idea so they keep up some religious pretenses or call it a culture.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:54 PM

There is nothing offensive about Ann Coulter's comments. But if you choose to connect them to supersessionism and the history of forced conversions in Europe, then you have an excellent way to scare old jews in to filling up the ADL's coffers.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:57 PM

I don't know why people can so easily spot trolls on an internet message board but can't spot the trolls when it comes to politics.

The Ann Coulters and Rosie O'Donnels of the worlds are trolls and you people fall for it every time.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

blufish: I've had my mind/ original stance completely changed by things Rush has said. I mostly dislike him, and think his "shtick" is harmful to our country as a whole, but sometimes he can add clarity to the way things are being presented for us to swallow by the media or other spokespeople. Sometimes, he is also just the master of spin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good deal. I did a major reversal (my stance on the death penaly) probably 10 years ago, based on becoming more educated on the issue. Haven't had much to change recently.
Take care.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:07 PM

Did you even read the article? If you had got past the first page you would see the main reason your example is ludicrous:

"The Edict was a bold move. No Jewish community in the world (other than two small Syrian congregations in Mexico and Argentina) has ever had such an extreme rule."

This is obviously a group of people that come from a different, insular and in todays terms "backward" society who have twisted their beliefs in response to a cultural shock (leaving Syria and moving to America). The fact that 5 Rabbis in 1935 made a ruling and maintained a group of adherents is irrelevant. Im not sure what experience you have to support your views, but the article you provided does nothing of the sort and is highly misleading used as such. The vast majority of Jews in the main strains would disagree (certainly on the basis of religious law) with the legality and practice of this group which flies in the face of the accepted law regarding conversion.

All the major strains of Judaism embrace the principle that anyone can become Jewish (albeit according to the specific strain's procedures). So much so that it is generally forbidden to remind a convert that he/she converted.

Also, from wikipedia: "Judaism, unlike Christianity and Islam, is not a proselytizing religion. Because it teaches that the righteous of all nations shall enter the gates of heaven, it does not have any compelling urge to rescue non-Jews from hell".