Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 06:08 PM

Default Study recommends Iraqi police force be disbanded

Study: Iraqi security forces not ready

Iraq's security forces have made "uneven progress" and will be unable to take over security on their own in the next 12 to 18 months, according to an independent assessment.

The study, conducted by a 20-member panel led by retired Gen. James Jones, found the Iraqi Army shows promise of becoming a viable, independent security force with time. But the group offers a scathing assessment of Baghdad's Ministry of Interior and recommends scrapping Iraq's national police force, which it describes as dysfunctional and infiltrated by militias.

The review is one of several studies that Congress directed in May, when it agreed to fund the war for several more months but demanded that the Bush administration and independent groups assess U.S. progress in the four-year war. ...

I sense another mission change is right around the corner. since the surge is "working" now.

As a side note, I was surprised (maybe I missed it) that nobody pointed out Bush's comparison of Iraq and Vietnam a few weeks ago. Basically Bush took the position IMO that the US withdrawl from Vietnam was a mistake and it would be repeated by pulling out of Iraq. I vaguely remember something about dismissals of comparisons of Iraq and Vietnam by the administration and it's supporters early on in this war. Maybe my memory is sketchy but if not then the seems like a complete 180 to me. I do remember mission accomplished statements at one point. I don't think John Kilduff will find any reasons to be optimistic at this point based on this report and the recent GAO report. Then I heard commentary that the GAO report was bogus. I suppose there will be detractors from this report as well.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Study recommends Iraqi police force be disbanded

[ QUOTE ]

As a side note, I was surprised (maybe I missed it) that nobody pointed out Bush's comparison of Iraq and Vietnam a few weeks ago. Basically Bush took the position IMO that the US withdrawl from Vietnam was a mistake and it would be repeated by pulling out of Iraq.

[/ QUOTE ]

Refresher on post war Vietnam

The US got to wash its hands by withdrawing. But what of the reeducation camps, the prisons, the killings and the millions fleeing on boats?

Did the US abandon millions of innocent people in Vietnam to a terrible aftermath?

Should we be concerned about the possible terrible aftermath in Iraq?

I think it is reasonable to at least consider these things, as long as we don't only value US lives and not care about Iraqi lives.