Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Walking to the shops ‘damages planet more than going by car’

[ QUOTE ]
The subsidized road system is one of the biggest primary causes of environmental problems in the US

[/ QUOTE ]

This is overstating it a bit. There a plenty of reasons for the environmental problem that have nothing to do with roads (Energy companies reluctance, consumer apathy, etc.).

My issue with roads is that, unlike most current government programs, I don't want them privatized. The conversion to a private road system seems not only unnecessarily complicated but very likely to do more harm then good. There just aren't enough roads out there, nor does there seem to be enough room for improvment, to justify turning that over to private companies.

So yes, Meh.

Cody
Old 08-07-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Walking to the shops ‘damages planet more than going by car’

Food production is now so energy-intensive that more carbon is emitted providing a person with enough calories to walk to the shops than a car would emit over the same distance. The climate could benefit if people avoided exercise, ate less and became couch potatoes. Provided, of course, they remembered to switch off the TV rather than leaving it on standby.

and

“The troubling fact is that taking a lot of exercise and then eating a bit more food is not good for the global atmosphere. Eating less and driving to save energy would be better.”

I guess being a vegatarian couch potato consumming little food would be the best practices for an individual in order to save the planet.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is up with all the climate fascism???

I'm pretty sure something like this is hella more dangerous than breathing, eating and driving in your car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:M...erPanorama.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell is with you lately. I'm going mad actually reading some of your posts that make sense.

Crater def -EV compared to eating
Old 08-07-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Roads? Meh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really cheap (per use) roads are one of the main reasons that large scale alternative transportation had little reason to get off the ground in the US. They also encourage bulk transportation of goods to be competitive verses local production which helps massive stores like wal mart gain its dominance, ect ect ect. The subsidized road system is one of the biggest primary causes of environmental problems in the US, and all you can say is meh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems almost certain to be false. Government interventions probably INCREASE the total cost of road transportation when you include gas and vehicle taxes. If inefficient, competition-free government toll roads are any guide, the cost-per-mile for big semis is between $.25 and $.50 a mile. Assuming $1 a gallon gas tax and 7 mpg, that's one-quarter to one-half of the road cost right there. Add in driver payroll taxes, vehicle taxes, etc., and the total subsidy is probably only a tiny fraction of the per-mile cost. Also consider that trucks are by far the least efficient form of long-haul transportation.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Add in driver payroll taxes, vehicle taxes, etc., and the total subsidy is probably only a tiny fraction of the per-mile cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any competing system (rail for example) would have its own set of taxes which would likely come pretty close to matching those that the trucking industry has to pay.

[ QUOTE ]
Also consider that trucks are by far the least efficient form of long-haul transportation

[/ QUOTE ]

So why in the heck does so much stuff get trucked around the US?
Old 08-07-2007, 04:36 PM

I've been spending my whole life trying to find an excuse to sit home and do nothing but watch married with children and king of queens and southpark reruns.

My dream is now possible thanks to OP.
MY dream of being a lazy nobody [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I love you 2+2
Old 08-07-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess being a vegatarian couch potato consumming little food would be the best practices for an individual in order to save the planet.

[/ QUOTE ]

SUCCESS!

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol
Old 08-07-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do vegetarians eat as a protein source? Beans. I think that flatulent vegetarians are a greater environmental problem than flatulent cows. Obviously, to curb global warming, we need to cull our herds of vegetarians.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:44 PM

WTF 1g of beef = 36g of Carbon.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:53 PM

Default These Studies Warm My Heart

These studies warm my heart.....
They do more to illustrate the idiocy of the MCGW(Man Causes Global Warming) cult than a 1000 counter studies discrediting their claims.

Thank you.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:59 PM

Default Re: These Studies Warm My Heart

[ QUOTE ]
These studies warm my heart.....
They do more to illustrate the idiocy of the MCGW(Man Causes Global Warming) cult than a 1000 counter studies discrediting their claims.

Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another reason why poorly designed studies do more harm than good.

Oh and by the way, FN, man is also responsible for the beef industry. So this study doesn't really add fuel to your MCGW rant.