Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 09:34 PM

Default Beginnning a Jumprope Routine . . .

Hey all,

I just started incorporating the jumprope into my workout, practicing barefoot on my living room floor. I have learned how to build a nice rhythm and how to switch feet. I'm doing crossovers now and it feels pretty sick.

However, the last couple days I have felt some soreness/pain in my calves. It's not exruciating or extremely painful by any means, but there is definitely a little discomfort. It hurts a little when I press my feet down on the ground.

At first I thought it was cramps due to the fact that I hadn't stretched the first time I went all out with my jumprope. The next day I went again, first stretching out well, and I still felt this soreness/slight pain after in my calves. This was only after a couple minutes.

Should I attribute this to the natural soreness that comes from working a new muscle/doing a new exercise, or should I be concerned? Should I be wearing shoes?
Old 07-11-2007, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Beginnning a Jumprope Routine . . .

The sore calves are normal when starting out with the rope. Should be gone in a few days with some light jumping.

You should get shoes if you're going to start working on sprints, and double unders, cause it hurts like hell if you screw up, especially with a speed rope. If it is just a leisurely activity, you probably don't need to.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:58 PM

Take a picture of your calves today. Stick with the jump rope for 2 months and notice the difference. Pain should feel worth it. IMO the pain should subside after a month at the most from experience.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:04 PM

Any jump rope buying advice? Or are they all pretty much the same?
Old 07-12-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any jump rope buying advice? Or are they all pretty much the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they're definitely not all the same. Look for a "speeed rope". The rope part is usually made of some heavy, dense plastic material. The other kinds of ropes come with a light-weight rope connecting the two handles. These are very tough to jump quickly with. They suck. They are also the most common type of rope you can buy.

Expensive doesn't equal better either. My fav rope was like $6.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:52 PM

There is one rope which is way better than any other rope out there. It got a very high rating from t-nation's chris shugart and its absolutely awesome and I dont sell them or I am not affiliated although I use it.

Shugart's review is at

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....icle=284stuff2

Basically, the rope is thinner at the handles and in the center, but thicker on the sides. This side weighting is supposed to allow for better control and faster speeds. Does it? Yeah, it does! Not only is it fast and smooth, the weighted sides make it easier to learn slaloms, shuffles, and other patterns of movement

If you get serious about jumproping dont do it barefoot. Get Nike Shox.

If you shop around online you can find The Boa 2000 for around $12.50 which is awesome considering the crappy ones Walmart and other stores sell for just a little less.