Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2007, 02:34 AM

Default something i always do

6 max online game. 1 limper, i am in BB, so heads up to the flop.

i check every flop. (to be 100% honest, i can think of a few isolated times when i lead out because i had such a perfect assesment of my opponent, but it may be 2% of such hands).

i vaguely know why i'm doing it, but i had never really decided to do it as part of some set strategy. it's just something that i "noticed" recently. part of it has to do with the fact that if a dude is open limping he probebly sucks and i think checking will more often get him to make a mistake.

someone please convince me this is retarded ...or brilliant.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:47 AM

Default Re: something i always do

I feel like you are giving up a lot of pots by doing this. Even bad players generally bet when checked to, and you just won't have a hand often enough to call. I usually check top pair or something, and bet middle/bottom pairs, draws, and air if he's a nit.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:52 AM

Often its just a case of neither guy having anything and he who bets, wins. Im not a huge fan of c/r bluffing, as it costs too much, so I think sprinkling in some leads is wise.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:10 AM

i think it sucks b/c you make alot of counterfitable 2pr type hands and always c/r or c/c w/them makes for bad spots
Old 01-03-2007, 04:33 AM

I prefer to just c/f about all the time. I hate putting an more money to hand I didn't choose to play.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer to just c/f about all the time. I hate putting an more money to hand I didn't choose to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow; sick.

Anyway, la, I think it makes sense to check when you have something , according to your theory about bad players. When you have nothing or close to it, I think you'll find that a pot bet picks it up way over 50% of the time.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:13 AM

I usually check the flop and if it goes through, I bet a blank turn. I don't think it's a good strategy, and just leading 100% of flops is probably much better.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think it sucks b/c you make alot of counterfitable 2pr type hands

[/ QUOTE ]

really? how often is a lot? i must be running bad.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:25 AM

la,

bet the flop...like a lot. like almost always.

I find that relentlessly going after small pots helps with metagame as well in that it gives you that added image of being hyperaggo, fighting and bluffing in every pot. Your opponents will see you always betting, checkraising, raising...wtf doesn't that dude ever stop??? Small pots are a good way to establish that image since you don't have to put alot of money in; it's a cheap sell. You get paid off more later on with big hands in big pots by going after all these small pots now.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
6 max online game. 1 limper, i am in BB, so heads up to the flop.

i check every flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to lead every flop that I miss when I have little chance of improving and no showdown value unless I know the opponent is so loose that he peels undercards etc. For example, 30/5 open limps, everyone else folds. I check 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the BB. Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I lead for pot. I think you take this down plenty often enough for a bet to be profitable. Rarely do I fire again on the turn -- maybe if the board gets really scary.

I usually check flops when I have a bluffcatcher with some showdown value, but a hand not good enough to value bet. Sometimes I'll call a bet on a street or two. For example, 30/5 open limps, everyone else folds. I check something like 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the BB. Flop comes J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I check here and decide whether I want to call any bets based on how bluffy he is and how hard he is going to make it for me to get to showdown.

Whenever I flop a monster I always just lead for pot -- I'm doing this as a bluff often too and it's criminal when the flop gets checked through. If they are stupid, I will bet as much on each street as I think they will call with top pair.

With any draw I'll lead for pot and usually follow through on the turn. For example, 30/5 open limps, everyone else folds. I check 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the BB. Flop comes T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I just lead this one for pot. Lots of turn cards are going to be scary, he's going to peel KQ/33-ish hands plenty, so I think potting the turn again is alright and helps balance out my potpotpots with monsters.