Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2006, 03:22 PM

Default using another person\'s account while banned

So I haven't checked in on Yves's account in particular, but it appears he's banned, right?

What's the deal with him being clearly allowed to post on other people's accounts while banned. Though it doesn't seem that there's a great way to stop him from doing it that doesn't punish people who have done no/little wrong, it also seems like we're letting him get away with something that you're not supposed to get away with, namely posting on a second account while your account is banned.

So what's the deal?

c
Old 01-01-2007, 04:17 PM

Default Re: using another person\'s account while banned

I sent a private pm to jfish warning Yvesaint not to post under anyone else's account anymore and if he did that that account would be nuked. I also posted it multiple times in bbv. If he does it again I'll ban whoever he's posting under.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:24 PM

gild,

i'm cool with that decision, though it does sadly suck for the random person who leaves their laptop exposed.

c
Old 01-01-2007, 06:49 PM

FWIW, anyone who leaves their laptop exposed to yvessaint pretty much deserves whatever happens.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:07 PM

This seems like a difficult rule to enforce. That is, we're only busting people who post on other people's accounts when we can tell they did it or they admit it.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This seems like a difficult rule to enforce. That is, we're only busting people who post on other people's accounts when we can tell they did it or they admit it.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. Yves may have just posted that using Joker's account.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mat has said it many times... if people who are banned use another account, and DON'T make a big deal about who they are, AND post appropriately under the new account... they are fine.

Bottom Line: Short term bans of a couple of days are more likely to be respected. If you ban a 20+ post/day account for 7 days, they will be posting immediately under another account [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-01-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mat has said it many times... if people who are banned use another account, and DON'T make a big deal about who they are, AND post appropriately under the new account... they are fine.

Bottom Line: Short term bans of a couple of days are more likely to be respected. If you ban a 20+ post/day account for 7 days, they will be posting immediately under another account [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

yves started making new posts under jfish's account and signing his name yves
Old 01-01-2007, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't quite right. As always, anyone caught using an alternate account during a temporary ban should be dealt with in some way. Mods can warn, extend the temp ban, or make the ban permanent. This happens fairly often, and I have specifically stated before that new alternate accounts of temp banned posters should be immediately banned as soon as they're discovered.

The thing with yves is a bit different of course, as he's apparently using another member's regular account to make the posts. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be discouraged. Gildwulf handled this well from what I've seen.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:16 PM

I also used the word nuke which is purposefully vague (3 days, perma, etc)