Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2006, 03:59 PM

Default Re: help me buy a leather couch

[ QUOTE ]
did you want just a regular one or a recliner?

[/ QUOTE ]

looking for a leather 2-seater with recliner (loveseat)

i would look at a 3-seater (full sofa) or individual recliner chairs if someone convinces me it's the better way to go
Old 07-04-2006, 04:17 PM

i have some black bass leather IKEA couches, dyed all the way through, that i got delivered dirt cheap. like $1500 for the pair. they're great.

picked them out in-person at their store near chicago (schaumburg) about 4-5 years ago. still super comfortable and they've held up.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:23 PM

I'm prepared to get flamed on this, but they are quality. Go to Restoration Hardware and check out what they have. Maybe not the cheapest, but definitely quality. Pottery Barn as well. I think both carry lines made by Mitchell Gold. You don't have to buy them there, but if you want to see quality leather furniture, it's a good place to start.

I've had the couch and buster chair with ottoman from Restoration for 6 years now, and they easily tolerate abuse from small children. Anything they do to them just adds to the character.

Both places occasionally have sales and on occasion, they sell the floor pieces at a pretty good discount. Again, it won't be cheap, but they are good, at least in my experience. I'm sure someone will chime in with a different one, YMMV.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:47 PM

prada?
Old 07-04-2006, 04:51 PM

My opinion on leather couches is that low-quality ones feel like crap, but high-quality ones are awesome
Old 07-04-2006, 04:55 PM

yeah, but the good ones are really, really expensive.

i wouldnt go for leather in the first place anyway, feels so sweaty and doesnt sleep comfortable.

and watch the poisture, poisture is really important.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:36 PM

there are plenty of cheap leather coaches that feel comfortable, especially if they are old and worn in.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i have some black bass leather IKEA couches, dyed all the way through, that i got delivered dirt cheap. like $1500 for the pair. they're great.

picked them out in-person at their store near chicago (schaumburg) about 4-5 years ago. still super comfortable and they've held up.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was trying to stay away from IKEA type stuff, b/c even though they're reasonable priced and comfortable, i was afraid the quality/durability wouldn't be so good. but your endorsement makes me want to give them a second look. thanks
Old 07-04-2006, 08:12 PM

I bought a nice tan leather couch for $500 from BJ's ( a massachusett's generic wholesale type store) last december. So far it's great to sleep on, and looks pretty good. It's much more of a casual style than the more formal 'gentelman's club' sofas depicted previously in this thread. My parents also have a couple olive green couches of similar style from the same store that are about 7 years old, the finish is a bit worn in parts but they are still very comfortable.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:18 PM

Default Here\'s what I\'ve got so far

Thanks everyone for the replies so far

so i've narrowed it down to a darker color (probably maroon or brown) leather sofa (3 seater) with recliners. i'm passing on the loveseat b/c the sofa is usually only $30-$50 more (does anyone know WHY this is??)

so i went down to jcpenny and the local furniture store (raymour&flanigan) to look around. jcpenny had crap, and none that matched my description, although most of their sofas were cheap ($699-$999). raymour had two nice ones that are exactly what i want (softer leather types), but the prices were right around $1500 for just the sofa (3 seater).

http://www.raymourflanigan.com/catal...ls.asp?ID=7363
http://www.raymourflanigan.com/catal...ls.asp?ID=1086
http://www.raymourflanigan.com/catal...ls.asp?ID=7349

i'm just worried that
(1) i'm basically paying list price (less a small discount) at a chain furniture store, which makes me think there's probably a much better deal somewhere else, and
(2) i don't know that much about the construction of sofas or the quality of the leather other than what i've read online. so while the ones i tried out feel really nice, i'm not sure if they really are that much better than IKEA or dept store stuff

what do you think, is $1500 (before tax and delivery charge) about the right price for sofas like this?