Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2007, 06:02 PM

Default Re: The Hip-Hop Thread, or Dids\'s Top 10 Hip-Hop Albums

I'm 31 now and was heavily, heavily into rap/hip-hop from about age 10-20 (1986-1996). So, obviously my preferences are skewed. I still listen to most of these albums from time to time. Like Dids, no particular order.

Gangstarr - Step in the Arena (1991)

I am torn between choosing this or Daily Operation (1992) - they are both great. Hard, driving beats from DJ Premier, excellent lyrics from Guru. This album gives you the true essence of east coast (NY) rap at the time. Guru can be a little political for my tastes, but he's got serious talent. Best song - 'Just to get a rep'.

Nice and Smooth - Nice and Smooth (1989)

If I had to pick my all-time favorite rap album, this gets it. Even with one of the most horrendous tracks ever recorded (Something I can't explain), this is an excellent album. Very upbeat, with some classic lines (e.g. "Not the shah of Iran and I'm not the Pope, but my name is on the walk of fame like Bob Hope").

This is another New York duo - they rap about how good they are, how many girls they get, how much money they have. Nothing too negative or violent. Best song - 'No Delayin'.

Trivia - the sample from Gangstarr's 'Just to Get a Rep' (see above) is from Nice and Smooth ("Stick up kid is out to tax").

A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory (1991)

Quality-wise, could easily be the best rap album of a time. I drove to and from high school with this tape in my deck non-stop for about 4 months. It's that good top to bottom, no weak spots. Best song - probably have to go with 'Scenario' (very popular, Busta Rhymes made an appearance).

Main Source - Breaking Atoms (1991)

Well known to east coast fans but didn't get much mainstream love when it was out. These guys are from Canada I believe, and have some fairly socially-conscious material. Best song - 'Just Hanging Out'.

Trivia - this album has the first recorded performance of Nas. Never got into Nas, but I know he's pretty popular on these boards.

EPMD - Strictly Business (1988)

EPMD's first album. A great duo, Erick Sermon was always sort of the lead man, but Parrish is great too. Hardcore, east coast (NY) rap, very classic stuff. Best song - "Strictly Business".

Beastie Boys - License to Ill (1986)

Wow, not much needs to be said here. A groundbeaking classic, at a time when rap was just starting to go mainstream. Best song - "Paul Revere".

NWA - Straight Outta Compton (1988)

One of rap's defining albums. The essence of this era of west coast rap. Very graphic/vulgar, which was all the more reason to listen! Best song - "Straight Outta Compton".

De la Soul - Three Feet High and Rising (1989)

Another defining album. The 'hippies' of rap, along with a few others (e.g. The Jungle Brothers). I am fairly certain that there 2nd album (De La Soul is Dead) was more popular, but I have to give the nod to their first. Best song - tough one, I'll go with "Me, Myself, and I" (the most popular cut off this one).

Big Daddy Kane - It's a Big Daddy Thing (1989)

Another New Yorker, Big Daddy was the pimp. Many 'love' songs, he was sorta the pioneer in this realm. He was an amazing writer, very entertaining rhymes. Best song - "Smooth Operator".

Eric B and Rakim - Follow the Leader (1988)

Probably the best MC in rap history. Powerful tunes from another NY duo. Best song - "Microphone Fiend" (probably top 5 all time songs on my list).