Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you play in this?
Yes 81 75.00%
No 1 0.93%
Maybe 26 24.07%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2007, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Yes I have cleaned toilets

When I was in the USAF I worked from 6:30 - 3:00. Then I'd eat and get a nap before going to my PT job.

I worked as a dishwasher at the chow hall. I washed dishes from 9pm - 3am. I was constantly tired. But able to have a couple bucks in my pocket.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:16 PM

I forgot one gross story. AT TCBY when I was pouring cups to sell at schools in the basement, there was a day when there wasa fruit fly problem because someone didnt change the grbage bags all weekend. So there were all these dead flies in the yogurt machine. I called my boss over to ask if he wanted me to drain the machine or whatever. He told me its just some flies, extra protein, whatever. Nobody will die. I ask if he wants me to scoop them out with a spoon or something, hes like sure, if you can, but dont worry about it. Made sure to never buy those cups at school again.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:50 PM

The summer I was 15, I was the night janitor for a laundromat/dry cleaner. Mopped the floor, cleaned the bathroom, cleaned the tops of the washing machines. $5 a day, usually took 45 mins - hour.

Couple of positives:
-I had the key to the dryer lint containers, and would find cash in there all the time, also a [censored] ton of bullets for some reason. Probably made more cash out of those things than my paychecks.
-The dry cleaner (attached to the laundromat) had a couch in the back that I ended up banging like 3 or 4 girls on.

All in all, a decent first job.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You seem like a reasonably smart guy, why did you stay in the grocery industry for nine and a half years? Or, what circumstances would you say compelled you to stay?

[/ QUOTE ]
"Reasonably smart" - that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

You'd be surprised - the grocery business is loaded with managers making decent money. Case in point, when I left the business in 1998 at 25 I was making >$40K plus bennies and rarely worked more than 40 hours/week. Not that I was making thick bank but it's not as bad as most people think. And that was just a department manager - the guys who run the store will clear $60-150K depending on the chain and the store's volume.

But it's a horrible grind (working a lot of weekends, holidays, the customer service aspect, etc.) and a terrible trap - virtually nobody in management chose that career, and the profit margins are sliver-thin so they're always looking at labor costs as expendable. My experience with most of the career guys is that they worked at a store through college and were making decent money, and then before they could utilize their degree they were married with kids, had no resume to speak of, and thus couldn't really switch careers without taking a hit in pay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I have worked at a grocery store for about 7 years mostly because I can write my own schedule and I get paid decent... retirement is very nice as in I have like 10k which should be 50k (just split 5 to 1) in a few years alll GIVEN to me didn't put a dime in..

As far as managers in my store they make 50-60k with bonuses... my store manager will make about 120k this year... (they get bonuses 4 times a year and for the store manager it can be like 10k+ )

anyways it sucks working nights and weekends but when youre a full time student and suck at poker not really that bad...
Old 02-04-2007, 06:37 PM

nah my boss (who actually cared about keeping his job) was [censored] scared about health & safety inspectors so our kitchen was always clean and the food was never messed with. Tasted like [censored] but never messed with.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:44 PM

Was enlisted man in US Navy, two tours of mess duty (scrubbing pots, etc). Later I was in charge of berthing compartment and cleaned the Head (toilet) myself, since no one else ever got it to pass inspection.

Dirtiest job?
Swabbing asses with alcohol before injections.
At least I wasn't the guy who had to obverse urine tests.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:25 AM

From the age of 12 to 17 (mid to late 1960s), I worked every summer picking strawberries and green beans. Fifty cents a flat for strawberries and from 2-3 cents a pound for green beans was what we received in pay. The real fun part was that we had to catch a old rickety school bus, 1953 vintage, at six o'clock in the morning and be driven 40 miles to the fields where we slaved in the sun for 8-9 hours or so and then ride back. We did this most of the summer and used the money to buy school clothes.

Also did other menial farm work like cutting rhubarb and picking plums, cutting broccoli etc.

Did some chicken picking – which is catching chickens by the feet and carrying them out to a truck where a man slams them into cages. The long dusty chicken houses were smelly and dimly lit and all the work was done in the dead of night when the chickens were supposedly asleep. We got paid a lump sump for so many chickens and then divided up the pay amongst ourselves. It was usually a group of 10 to 12 guys or up to 20 depending on the amount of chickens. The pay was great for the few hours’ work you did but it was under horrible conditions.

Did tree planting which wasn't bad and the pay was OK if I recall.

Rest of my jobs when young, though physically hard, paid reasonably well for the time.

-Zeno
Old 02-05-2007, 03:27 AM

golden,

[ QUOTE ]
I was welder in the summers during high school. It was hot, sweaty backbreaking work, but it felt good in a way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always wanted to learn how to weld. I like that kind of work. And I totally agree with you about the coworkers. And you forgot to mention the best part of working in a warehouse: forklift!

Raptor,

[ QUOTE ]
When i was 13-15 i made 15 bucks a game umping tee ball and coach pitch little league games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lucky. My friend and I ump'd the "minor" league kids (they pitch) a few nights a week. All we got was free food from the concession stand. It was a lot of fun though.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:53 AM

i worked maintenance at a ski resort in vancouver when i was 16.

cleaning a woman's period up in the bathroom was fun.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:32 AM

I think I've had a real job a total of ten days in my life, maybe 11. One day sorting pears in an orchard, which was painful, uncomfortable, dull yet fast paced, and high pressure. I was very bad at the job despite trying hard.

Nine or ten days working in a cherry factory doing all sorts of things. I was very good at that job, but my line got shut down and most people were layed off.