Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2007, 11:25 AM

Default $22 180 Stars tourney - final 5 big decision

I just became chip leader at 72k chips. opponent has 60k, and is my target as the most looose/aggressive. He has 'restolen' once when I limped SB into his BB, pushing 50k. Otherwise, I'm lookng to resteal him.

I've been pretty wild at the previous table, but non discript here at the final table. Table is playing passive, a lot of blind stealing and hands being checked down. besides me and villian ( 72k, 60k) three others have 30-40k.

Blinds + ante's = 3k approx, so I'm atm=24, villian m=16. Effective m's are half that, so i definetely feel that people aren't playing aggressive enough, and fold equity is where it is at.

UTG+1 I get 33. make it 10k (5bb) Villian pushes for 50k. Folds back to me. I don't feel he is making a play, i'd put him on top 20% here, effectively 33+ ajs+ AQo+ KQs+, and I've obviously fine against that range given pot odds. This is basically for the tourney though. I win this I'm basically winning the thing.

I was thinking I could fold because I've been so effective wielding my stack, nad the table is playing so passive. On the other hand, i'm probably 50/50 to win the tourney right here.

I call.

Anyone play any differently.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:32 AM

Default Re: $22 180 Stars tourney - final 5 big decision

I don't like such a big raise with 33 here. You are almost committing yourself to call a push from those with 30k. When villain pushes I think it is an easy fold as you are at best racing. I would make it 5-6k here then I think it is less likely you will get pushed at.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like such a big raise with 33 here. You are almost committing yourself to call a push from those with 30k. When villain pushes I think it is an easy fold as you are at best racing. I would make it 5-6k here then I think it is less likely you will get pushed at.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed
Old 03-09-2007, 11:43 AM

Gotta be a fold. Those kind of hands are dangerous, your either 50 -50 or 85 -15 dog. Even if your putting him on a bluff it will still be a race. Easy fold.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:08 PM

Easy fold. I wouldn't have raised it pre-flop. Those small pps are too easily dominated.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:17 PM

LOLL, you just convinced yourself to make horrible call after making 10 previous mistakes. Raise 2.50-3x PF def fold to his shove, the whole if I win this hand I win tourney is a fine mindset but not when calling 20more bbs with 33 with 5 invested which it should have never even been .
Old 03-09-2007, 12:24 PM

Default Results

Thanks for the replies. I was using Harrington's system of 3-4 bb raises with more quality hands, 4-5 bb when ideally you'd like the fold. I really don't like bet/folding PF, nor do I like st8 folding PF. And while I don't think he was re-stealing, he could have been. To put it another way, I would have restealed here with top 50%, and in fact had.

Anyways, he shows AK. Good +EV for me. Flop AA, and I'm down to m=5.

Went in 2 hands later with 89suited, lost to AA. I like that I had my eyes on #1, but i guess this wasn't the hand to do it.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Results

umm I don't read poker books or go by them, and I'm sure I've been in many more situations like this and I totally disagree with how it's played and heres why.

First off pretty sure HoH is for live tourneys where stacks are deeper antees larger and play worse.

You should never be opening for 5bb unless you are just doing it in SB and BB has like 6bb total or there is limpers. When you open your 5x it's soo bad because of the stacks behind you everyone is deep enough than you shouldn't be calling their shoves because if when you lose which will be often and than you now switch stacks with them and become a SS and them CL.

Also, if you are honestly shoving 30bbs over a 5x open from CL with 50% of hands you are really awful and it's a good thing you are the only CL who is bad enough to 5x with 33 and than call his shove. He is never restealing with air here and even if he was you are racing like everytime. You are results orientated cuz he showed AK it was a good call no it wasn't. This hand was a complete trainwreck and sadly I think when you made this post as a brag about how you played soo good in your opinion getting in as a race for monster CL when in fact based on ranges your call sucks your open sucks your whole thought process sucks. Misapplied concepts 101
Old 03-09-2007, 12:45 PM

I appreciate your feedback. I can see the points about open raising for less. I basically priced myself into calling, which was a bad play. Aggreed there.

But if you run the similations based on a top 20% hand range its an easy +EV call becasue precisely I'll be racing against the huge majority of hands and I put dead money into the pot. Again, I see the point of not bloating the pot, so that's the mistake. As played, I can't see folding, though.

I also completely disagree with the point of restealing here. Someone puts in a raise PF and I can put thier tourney life in jeopardy, its huge. A lot of people this late will raise 30%. They call repushed with AA-QQ when payouts are more than they typically make in a month/year. That's good fold equity.

Thank you for the replies.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:54 PM

WRONG, sigh I've been at more 180 fts than anyone I know open ranges and calling ranges and avg players restealing ranges. No one is shoving 20k there you obv like your hand as shown by your call with 33. You were not priced in to his shove if you think that than you must be raise/calling a lot with small pairs and other hands you open with.

If he showed JJ you're tone would be soo much different in this post stop being results orientated. His range is maybe 8-10% of hands. I resteal as much as anyone but there are better spots trust me I've experimented with everything you could possible do at a ft of a 180. he is shoving 50k more you are not priced in I think you need to learn about ICM etc you have major leaks and they are why you lose in the longrun not losing the huge races.