Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2006, 10:08 AM

Default new spin to the standard \"AA\" question

Looking through my hand histories, but here is essentially the hand. 9 person $100 Pokerstars. Table has a nice mix of semi loose and semi passive, no maniacs (HUD #\'s). I\'m in SB, 2nd hand, with 45BB (waiting until button to make it 100BB)

dealt AA73 one ace suited.
#UTG calls (100)
#UTG2 Raises to 3bb (75)
UTG4 calls (30)
Button RR\'s ($10)(20bb)
ME?

At this point I can almost get about 60% of my stack in, which would usually be an instapush for me, with a moderate AA hand. However, usually with AA and the reraise you can find yourself heads up, which won\'t happen here. I\'ve got a good mix of short and big stacks, and this is certain to be 3 way or more, with sidepots. I know what I don\'t want with my AA hand is to play it against
A) many players
B) giving away my hand (AA) preflop in poor position, so people can dump if they miss, but charge me if they hit.

Of course I potted it, figuring if I called the pot would be so big I\'d have to call on nearly every flop anyway. Anyone else have an idea here?
Old 10-21-2006, 10:53 AM

Default Re: new spin to the standard \"AA\" question

I would say either fold (because it's a crappy AAxx) or reraise and then autopush. If you think your villain is doing this with KK or QQ and no one else will call, then i think you have an easy reraise.

Of course, in theory, if more people play then you have less of a chance to win, but run the numbers on total EV vs 3 players. It is probably still +EV.

Also, this is your 2nd hand you say? If you want to play earlier in position, why not buy in for the minimum until the button gets to you? If you have 20bb instead of 50bb, this hand becomes a lot easier to play.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:55 AM

stick it in, obv.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:19 AM

I guess I don't think of AA suited one way as crappy, probably just a 'marginal' AA.

I don't have any reason to think someone else has AA, more likely KK or QQ, but could be. The meat of the post is the varying stack sizes and my belief (as it was) that the hand would end up 3 way or 4 way, with me having marginal aces.

And yes, that's good advice for the majority of the time to buy in minimum. However, these are regulars and I've found that no one gives you credit for flopping a monster in the blinds. Whenever I have top set/made st8 on flop here on the 1st or second hand, I'm always able to get my money in, as if 'he couldn't have a good hand on his first deal.'

Anyway, appreciate the response. I can't stomach fold. FWIW: Flopped the Ace here and everyone folded to my flop push!
Old 10-22-2006, 12:16 AM

Yeah, I don't think you should fold it and view this also as a decent/middle-of-the-road AA.

While it's risky depending on board, if you flop the A here, even new to the table, I'd probably have to go for the c-r. It's very unusual for a re-raiser not to attempt to rep AA.

I like the way you played it PF, though.

For the PF push, I really think it needs to be at least 2/3 of stack (although it gets tempting around 60%--and I guess it's not a mistake to re-raise almost always, but I don't like it for the obvious reasons, mentioned in your post).

Also, as you say, 3-way all-ins aren't so great at least when 2 players have AA, although I'm not sure they're really avoidable since I'm definitely not laying down AA PF once I've gotten even 10% of my stack committed.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

For the PF push, I really think it needs to be at least 2/3 of stack (although it gets tempting around 60%--and I guess it's not a mistake to re-raise almost always, but I don't like it for the obvious reasons, mentioned in your post).

[/ QUOTE ]

Why 2/3 or 60%?
Old 10-22-2006, 07:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would say either fold (because it's a crappy AAxx)

[/ QUOTE ]

its almost never right to fold AA pf in a cash game (1/10k hands if even)
Old 10-23-2006, 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would say either fold (because it's a crappy AAxx)

[/ QUOTE ]

its almost never right to fold AA pf in a cash game (1/10k hands if even)

[/ QUOTE ]

And what is your basis for saying that and that particular number of 1 in 10K? If you want to modify that statement to mean primarily in capped buyin games online with one's stack not being greatly bigger than the original buyin, then that's different, but you didn't say that.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
stick it in, obv.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-23-2006, 05:34 PM

bluff, why do you have to complicate everything...

durr, how do you think you would play this?