Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-28-2007, 11:33 AM

Default Re: This is why I\'m for the death penalty.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Im in favor of death penalty and long prison sentences because the high cost of error of releasing known murderers that may not be as rehabilitated that we would like to think they are far exceeds the cost of having them in prison.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't this be achieved by having no chance of release for members who commit a certain type of crime (with the exception, of course, that if they are found to be innocent the go free)?

[ QUOTE ]
Im talking about my defense of the death penalty, and I assure you it has nothing to do with revenge, its what I feel is the proper solution for the society in dealing with some murderers. I believe that the judges in the trials and appeals needed before someone can be executed are level headed and therefore will avoid sentencing people to death based on pity revenge.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the cost/risk of them committing future crimes can be eliminated by having no parole eligibility and the cost of going through the rigorous process you describe above has been shown to exceed the cost of keeping someone in prison for life. What do you gain by killing them?

[/ QUOTE ]

The last paragraph that you quoted was a response to tame deuces that also opposes long prison sentences (In Norway the longest sentence you can get is 21 years, and in reality that means you are free after 13-14 years max), while Im in favor of life without parole and also death penalty in some cases.

What we gain from killing them? Well they are out of the system, and not a concern to anyone annymore. When they are executed they are finally history, they are not part of society or this world anymore, and we can move on.

And Im not saying that the death penalty is a neccessity, but I feel it is appropiate at times. If someone is sentenced to life in prison with 0 % chance of getting out we have made sure that society are safe from him just as much as when he is executed, but I do feel there are times when having the person executed is the most appropiate solution.