Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Which Top 3 Seed is in the most trouble? (1st round, NBA)

Also in response to Dirk. For most of the game he hardly took any shots, every play was an isolation play (as usual) that started through him and then GS sent two defenders with backside help to defend, Dirk would recognize and give up to the top of the key and then one more swing pass was usually all that was needed for an open 2/3 pt FG...problem was that Dallas didn't shoot well last night.

There was a 7 minute drought where they didn't score and after about 5 minutes of giving the ball up and seeing his teammates missing shots, Dirk started to force shots. Not good. My whole point with the FG%'s is that if the other guys shoot better which they should it will force GS to a decision, last night they didn't have a decision, triple up on Dirk and take him out of the game b/c nobody else can make a damn thing...pretty simple.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:38 PM

It's just one game guys. No one in the West is really in trouble yet. As for the East, I expect Miami & Toronto [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] to go down.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:39 PM

Vincent,

Love the avatar, that is greatness.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Touche.

Also, I find it kind've hard to believe that that's all it takes to shut down Dirk. This is essentially the same thing every team did in the playoffs last year and he still had like 30 ppg.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, for the most part. I just think the whole team was a little flustered, including Dirk, and to put it all on the Mavs and act like GS had nothing to do with it is wrong. I'm not ready to throw Dirk under the bus or anything. He'll figure it out, or else Avery will beat his ass.

I still think the Mavs take the series, but I wouldn't be shocked to see 7 games.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Vincent,

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Was waiting for the appropriate time to don it.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Vincent,

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Was waiting for the appropriate time to don it.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh man sensory overload.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:53 PM

Vincent,

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks . Was waiting for the appropriate time to don it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect. Double entendre!
Old 04-23-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Touche.

Also, I find it kind've hard to believe that that's all it takes to shut down Dirk. This is essentially the same thing every team did in the playoffs last year and he still had like 30 ppg.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, for the most part. I just think the whole team was a little flustered, including Dirk, and to put it all on the Mavs and act like GS had nothing to do with it is wrong. I'm not ready to throw Dirk under the bus or anything. He'll figure it out, or else Avery will beat his ass.

I still think the Mavs take the series, but I wouldn't be shocked to see 7 games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much my feelings. I think that:

GSW matches up pretty well with DAL. Teams with good 3 point shooters do well as Dallas can't seem to close them down the majority of the time.

GSW is a better team than their record, etc, indicates.

GSW has played about as well as you'd expect them to play over the season series

Dallas has played much worse; partly due to GSW and partly due to DAL

DAL is about 5 points better overall.*

*Number taken from nowhere.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:09 PM

I actually find the way GS combated Dirk interesting. GS is a team full of athletes, and while none of them are huge, none of them are particularly small. They are all some well built dudes. So they have some physicality to go with their quickness and speed. I doubt there are many, if any, players in the league that can deal with a double team consisting of players like that. If Dirk see's it again, which he will, he needs to find the open man and Dallas needs to hit some shots! Get some of those fools off Dirk's nuts!
Old 04-23-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty much EVERYONE in the NBA Playoffs thread took Toronto in 5/6/7, yet almost everyone so far is saying Toronto is in the most trouble. You guys are fickle.

[/ QUOTE ]

not everyone, check that again [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

SA/Den - i keep hearing the Nuggets played perfect, Iverson and 'Melo went off and they still barely won. Actually, those two were just slighty above their season average for points and fg%, and Denver as a team only shot 45% (31% from 3). This could end up being a really long series. The difference in my mind is Duncan, he looked disinterested and almost afraid of angering the refs (2 free throws, 2 fouls??). If he snaps out of whatever funk he was in the Spurs will be just fine.