Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2007, 02:23 PM

Default Re: \"Official\" Poker After Dark thread (week of 1/2)

When I want to watch the first video from the latest show, it says it is not available from my location...

I can view the others though.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:27 PM

I did feel a little sorry for Phil, because yeah, he really did deserve a little peace while he employed his massive reading skills. And, you know, even though we all enjoy watching his tantrums, he is a pretty decent NLHE tournament player.

I started feeling sorry for him until I remembered that he set himself up with all that trash talking about how no one else at the table was capable of even understanding his mastery of the game, and how he had a "plan" for each of them.

But, Steve Z was right. He was going to fold that hand to Annie's raise. It's unclear to me how much of his need to think was sincere, and how much was just playing for the cameras (something that Phil's also pretty well known for).
Old 01-04-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought Sheiky was particularly douchey

[/ QUOTE ]

From everything I've seen, saying Sheiky was particularly douchey is more or less like saying water is particularly wet.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:34 PM

I felt bad for Phil too, even though he is a ridiculous and a joke, I think a guy should be given some quiet to think about a big hand.

But it does seem like the producers encouraged alot of banter on the show, so maybe given that fact Phil should have just rolled with the punched and not been a douche. That might also explain why the producer laughed off Phil's complaint.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:45 PM

I don't even think they have a TD there, just the Executive Producer. But Phil had a point there. The TD or EP should have told the other players to be quiet or they will get a penalty.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:57 PM

From the 2nd ep -

Helmuth: Floor! If someone looks at my cards that I haven't shown, what happens? Do I just get paid? Or are they just villified?

haha
Old 01-04-2007, 03:18 PM

lol, this third episode is hilarious. I really wish Huck Seed would be on more stuff like this.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And, you know, even though we all enjoy watching his tantrums, he is a pretty decent NLHE tournament player.

[/ QUOTE ]

ya think?
Old 01-04-2007, 03:42 PM

For those of you that put off Helmuths antics as playing for the TV cameras--just a sidenote-I played with him well before the "TV ERA" and he was just as much a baby, Idiot as he is today--It is unfortunate that a guy who has won so much cant learn to be happy with himself.

Sad figure IMO--and Sad for poker that it cant have a better ambassador for the game from a player with such accomplishments...

Oh and I believe he was quite insistant that Duke held a hand like A8 (when she had KK) and thats especially why I was cracking up during his quotes as the best reader in poker for 20 years.

The guys obv berate him cause they have no respect for the guy as a person-not cause they are trying to put him on tilt.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:50 PM

They should have given him a few seconds of peace, but he deserves everything he gets really. He's such a baby, if you didn't hate him before, now you have plenty of reason.

Honestly I just got pissed that they took so much time away from poker. I need to count how many hands we're seeing in each episode, something like 25 i'm thinking. 125 hands total. I'd like a lot more than that.