Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 02:05 PM

Default Re: who is the worst nfl head coach?

Taking Herm's obvious playing to the press press conference quotes as an indication of his coaching ability is retarded.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:18 PM

What was the question from the press that prompted that response? I'm guessing it was something about a narrow loss or a moral victory, but I don't remember.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:22 PM

I know, but that is a damn funny clip.

you play to win the game
Old 09-18-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know Bill Simmons writes a lot of nonsense about gambling,
[ QUOTE ]

Hopper once played blackjack in Vegas with Norv Turner, who spinelessly kept staying on 16 (ed: against a dealer 10) until my belligerent friend drove him from the table with a biting remark.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Simmons is an idiot. Sometimes you are supposed to stay on 16. Anyone who thinks otherwise should NOT offer advice on blackjack theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if he's being dealt 16 vs. 10 repeatedly, the count is probably negative...

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said he was getting 16 v 10 more than normal? Just admit you/Simmons don't understand the proper time to hit v stay and move on. Simmons was wrong, end of story.

[/ QUOTE ]

Simmons states elsewhere that it was 16 v. 10 thrice, and Norv stood each time....

I think Simmons' assessment ...

[/ QUOTE ]

16 v 10 happens only like ALL THE TIME IN blackjack. 3 times a shoe wouldn't be strange, much less over the course of hours. It happens, on average, more than 1 in 30 hands.

Simmons is not qualified to make assessment of various bj strategies. No matter how much you love him.
[ QUOTE ]

My blackjack reference claims that when using the trusty Hi-Lo count, hitting [you meant standing] 16 v. 10 is correct when the true count is +1, which doesn't happen all that often

[/ QUOTE ]

You made a couple of errors there, and clearly have no clue on this topic. Please stop posting on strategy questions you don't understand.

The top play variations for card counters are knowing when to take insurance and stand on 16 versus a dealer’s 10. ...These top plays were recommended by Donald Schlesinger in an important study published in the September 1986 issue of Blackjack Forum.

Play variations (variations you make from basic strategy) are what card counting index numbers are all about. They can be very important in single deck and become less important as decks are added to the game. If the player has a 16 versus a dealer 10 the Hi-Lo index number is 0. This means that the player should "stand" if the count is greater than or equal to 0 and "hit" otherwise.

Correctly standing on 16 v dealer 10 adds 0.53% advantage to the player.

Simmons is a sportswriter, not knowledgable about bj odds. Turner is a bad coach [I agree 110%] but is better about gambling successfully in Vegas than TSG's drunken friends.

Idiots like them say you should never split 10s, but they are wrong on that as well. From a pure odds perspective, occasionally you should if you don't fear getting barred.

wizardofodds.com/blackjack/appendix3c.html

Note the, literally, hundred of times that standing is optimal for 1 and 2 decks. And you don't have to keep a running count to do this, just LOOK AT THE CARDS IN YOUR HAND.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know Bill Simmons writes a lot of nonsense about gambling,
[ QUOTE ]

Hopper once played blackjack in Vegas with Norv Turner, who spinelessly kept staying on 16 (ed: against a dealer 10) until my belligerent friend drove him from the table with a biting remark.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Simmons is an idiot. Sometimes you are supposed to stay on 16. Anyone who thinks otherwise should NOT offer advice on blackjack theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if he's being dealt 16 vs. 10 repeatedly, the count is probably negative...

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said he was getting 16 v 10 more than normal? Just admit you/Simmons don't understand the proper time to hit v stay and move on. Simmons was wrong, end of story.

[/ QUOTE ]

Simmons states elsewhere that it was 16 v. 10 thrice, and Norv stood each time....

I think Simmons' assessment ...

[/ QUOTE ]

16 v 10 happens only like ALL THE TIME IN blackjack. 3 times a shoe wouldn't be strange, much less over the course of hours. It happens, on average, more than 1 in 30 hands.

Simmons is not qualified to make assessment of various bj strategies. No matter how much you love him.
[ QUOTE ]

My blackjack reference claims that when using the trusty Hi-Lo count, hitting [you meant standing] 16 v. 10 is correct when the true count is +1, which doesn't happen all that often

[/ QUOTE ]

You made a couple of errors there, and clearly have no clue on this topic. Please stop posting on strategy questions you don't understand.

The top play variations for card counters are knowing when to take insurance and stand on 16 versus a dealer’s 10. ...These top plays were recommended by Donald Schlesinger in an important study published in the September 1986 issue of Blackjack Forum.

Play variations (variations you make from basic strategy) are what card counting index numbers are all about. They can be very important in single deck and become less important as decks are added to the game. If the player has a 16 versus a dealer 10 the Hi-Lo index number is 0. This means that the player should "stand" if the count is greater than or equal to 0 and "hit" otherwise.

Correctly standing on 16 v dealer 10 adds 0.53% advantage to the player.

Simmons is a sportswriter, not knowledgable about bj odds. Turner is a bad coach [I agree 110%] but is better about gambling successfully in Vegas than TSG's drunken friends.

Idiots like them say you should never split 10s, but they are wrong on that as well. From a pure odds perspective, occasionally you should if you don't fear getting barred.

wizardofodds.com/blackjack/appendix3c.html

Note the, literally, hundred of times that standing is optimal for 1 and 2 decks. And you don't have to keep a running count to do this, just LOOK AT THE CARDS IN YOUR HAND.

[/ QUOTE ]

Simmons was talking about his ability to inspire a football team, not his math skills or memorizing blackjack plays. He said a football player would not be inspired by his play which is probably correct since most NFlers would probably hit there.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:17 PM

Some people mentioned guys that aren't coaching anymore but I think you want current head coaches. Of the proven losers I have to agree with the Norv Turner, Herm Edwards sentiment. KC has headed straight to the bottom with Edwards and the Chargers have looked horrible, not even close to what they were last year. Of the new coaches I'd say Cam Cameron has the best potential to be a bust. His drafting of Ginn at number 10 was suspect (I assume he had a lot of input on that pick) and Miami hasn't looked very good so far.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:21 PM

The Bengals have a crummy defense but I guess that's obvious.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:36 PM

Brad Childress.

He dosnt even work on the D, he calls the offense "us" and the defense "them" in press conferences.

Well guess what the offense sucks, the defense is good and he dosnt believe in half time adjustments.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:49 PM

Pretty much every coach will tell you halftime adjustments are the most overrated thing ever. There's only so much you can do in 12 minutes after 100 hours of gameplanning.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:12 PM

Oh god Brad Childress is really bad.