Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 09:07 AM

Default Constant PF Raisers?

Something I'm seeing a lot of online are players who seem to raise PF virtually every hand.

Any tips on how to play against these?
Old 08-03-2007, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Constant PF Raisers?

First, see what they are opening the pot with and from what position. It may take an orbit or 2 to even see a showdown allowing you to see the players hole cards even once. It will also give you an idea if they have any concept of position or not.

It will most likely take several orbits around to see if they keep raising or they slow down. By this time you should have seen a couple or hopefully more showdowns allowing to see his opening criteria/range and then just play a range that crushes him.

It is important to determine if villian is on a hot run of cards or just trying to control the table. If the villian is truly raising every hand with a weak range, this is very easy to counter. Some may disagree but this is what has worked for me.

1) Regardless of position, wait for a real hand. AA-88, AK-AQ suited or os...adjust based on villians range.

2) If oop (harder), raise 4BB + 1BB per limper when opening. If villian calls, you are well ahead of his range and in good shape. If villian raises, 3bet him. If villian 4bets I am most likely playing for stacks here, but that is a high variance play and may not be for beginners.

While you are studying the table as stated above, note how villain plays post flop so you can adjust occordingly. Does villian bet at every pot if checked too? Does he call cbets post flop? Etc, etc. If OPP, it is propably a bad idea to throw out a cbet with AK on a TT7 board if you know villian will call you down, but you are propably ahead so it is a judgement call. On the other hand, if you have QQ on the same TT7 board, bet what you think villian will call. Don't bet too big and lose him and don't bet to small and give him odds to draw. Anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 pot sized bet should be good.

3) If in position and villian raises, play your determined range and re-raise him. You have control of the pot and position post flop. Trust me, villian will slow down when you start playing back at him and win some pots from him.

I hope this helps.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:17 AM

Limit or NL?
If NL, size of raise?
Full Ring or 6-Max?
Every hand dealt, or every hand they play?
Old 08-03-2007, 10:24 AM

Good Point. My post was focused at 6Max NL.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:00 PM

NL, mainly 5 handed

Brilliant advice evagaba ... will give it a go!

Cheers [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2007, 03:03 PM

The previous posters has given a lot of valuable information. Just remember that there are a lot of players who raise with no reason other than to dominate and bully opponents. Note that using the above information you can gain a very good edge, this will generally make them more agressive and send them on tilt and other players will end up crucifying them in the long run. Just remember, no matter how difficult not to "get in the ring" with them- bide your time and let them hang themselves.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:53 PM

Just call them in position
Old 08-11-2007, 06:59 AM

I like the call in position, too, but not with hands that might be dominated. I would rather be playing 98 then A5
Old 08-11-2007, 07:07 AM

3bet a lot.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Something I'm seeing a lot of online are players who seem to raise PF virtually every hand.

Any tips on how to play against these?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try the old stop and go play on this guy, when your out of position. Simply call his preflop bet and on the flop bet about 3/4 to 1, 1/2 times the pot. IF he reraises you can let it go, if he just calls try it a gain on the turn. Ofcourse this is very dependent on the texture of the flop. I perfer an A with 2 blanks or any high card, paint and up with 2 blanks. Even if he calls down and wins it, you will have set him up for when you have a nice hand. This play takes the control away from most guys unless they have a huge stack.