Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 02:51 AM

Default Re: Live 20-40 Hand against tricky opponent

c/r the turn and bet basically any river that isnt a 4th flush card (obv)

this is a good move b/c a lot of draws will bet the turn against you, hoping to take it down here, and theyre prob not folding the turn for a bet.. so it gets you the max
Old 04-03-2007, 10:51 AM

question on the suggested flop c/r. Is there ever a top pair (and kicker) holding that we're not check raising ? I'm thinking mostly about combinations that are particularly vulnerable to the coming turn cards. Like if this hand was more like:

237, and we held 78s, is the cr still as obvious ? Where do most people feel the cutoff is when c/r a smallish top pair ?
Old 04-03-2007, 12:24 PM

Flop's fine. I could see arguments for betting out, c/ring any bet or only c/ring a LP bet depending on the texture of the game.

As others stated though, the turn absolutely has to be a check/raise. You're ahead over 50% of the time three ways, and there are a lot of hands you won't get action from on the river. Putting your opponents on a set and a flush here is just seeing monsters under the bed.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:35 PM

If you put a guy on a set, why would you want to check raise him drawing dead?

BTW, how's the beer drinking going hamm?
Old 04-10-2007, 03:58 PM

Everyone raises their flush draws at foxwoods 20/40 no matter what, even if it doesn't make sense to. I think its in the bylaws. Therefore, it comes down to whether you think the initial bettor is betting a flush draw or not. I think you're ahead a good enough amount of the time to warrant consideration for a checkraise on the turn, but it's close and you'd open yourself up to a 3 bet drawing very thin so I see no problems with how you played it.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:51 PM

So you're first to act, solid player is second, and tricky player is third to act out of seven?

If so, I'd bet the flop. Let solid or tricky guy raise with second pair to thin the field.

Then again, I don't check-raise nearly enough. Out of six other guys, I just can't assume that the first 4 or 5 are going to check, so guy in CO or B can bet, allowing me to check-raise.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:14 PM

If so, I'd bet the flop. Let solid or tricky guy raise with second pair to thin the field.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree here.
You might have the best hand on the flop, but with two people in the pot, I don't like all the straight and flush draws staring at me.

I would bet here hoping that someone on a draw would raise, if the 3rd person called 2 bets cold, a re-raise could knock out a higher kicker, gutshot, baby flush draw...
I don't like checking top pair when there is no raise pre-flop, especially with so many possible draws on the board, and I like sending messages out there that your draws will be expensive.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
c/r flop to make the others call 2 cold with overs, but since late pos didnt bet id call and see what develops, this is right out of Inside the Poker Mind. I told u this before when it happened, Kev and Jeff didnt agree, its weird their combined bankroll is 10k.

[/ QUOTE ]

- I checked the flop hoping for the late position better so I could raise scenario which I didn't get.

end result, MP called river with his flush and cowboy hat mike folded his flopped set which turned into a useless full house.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:02 AM

Hand was a couple of weeks back, MP was an unkown but straightforward player and "tricky player" at least in hands vs me was Cowbody hat Mike
Old 04-11-2007, 02:20 AM

Million Dollar Mike?

He usually has a stack of $100's tucked behind his chips? He's predictably tricky.