Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 07:23 PM

Default Last bettor bets - A better way to play?

Before internet poker, when I was a teenager playing with friends we always played NL and we always played by the rule "last bettor bets".

This means that every betting round postflop, whoever bet last acts first. For example if say UTG+1 raises preflop and there are callers, UTG+1 acts first after the flop. Then say there were 2 callers, UTG+1 checks the flop, the first caller bets flop and is called, the first caller is first to act on the turn regardless if he was button, cutoff, SB or whatever preflop.

This means that your position preflop only matters preflop, position popstflop is determined not by where you sat preflop but by how the betting went in the previous round.

I read somewhere that this is how they play live poker in Spain. I was thinking that this was a better way to play, that is was less "artificial" somehow, that is was more "pure" this way since it reduced greatly the difference of sitting on the button and sitting UTG.

It makes dealing live poker more difficult of course but makes for a better game says I. A totally different dynamic (think of the implications of betting, if no one raises you are in effect UTG next betting round).

Instead of say in one orbit having several hands EP where you are playing less in general, only playing premium hands etc. and some hands in LP which are totally different, you play a bunch of hands with lesser holdings, you are instead playing the same game of poker all the time, starting UTG or the button - it really doesn't matter much. Basically, you get to play more poker is the way I see it without having to consider the arguably somewhat artifial effects/implications of preflop position.

For example your range can be hugely expanded UTG cause you're not hampered by having to act early postflop. Your range on the button is hugely reduced cause you do NOT have the built in advantage of acting last every betting round.

Everyone has pretty much the same position every hand, you're playing essentially the same game every hand, just poker, not poker with the "twist" that comes with your preflop position.

What say you?
Old 09-18-2007, 10:18 PM

Default Re: Last bettor bets - A better way to play?

I say you restated the premise 5 times too many.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:43 AM

Default Re: Last bettor bets - A better way to play?

why do you want to negate position?