Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Fall \'07 Movie Thread

The Mist actually looks pretty cool.

Here is a link to a thread I posted in OOT awhile back devoted to upcoming movies. A lot of the previews have been linked in this thread already, but there are a few good ones that havent.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:16 PM

Boss just saw Eastern Promises at CAA Screening...god i wish i could go to those. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Said it was fantastic. Very very brutal though...
Gonna see it this weekend
Old 09-20-2007, 10:29 PM

CDS,

"Boss just saw Eastern Promises at CAA Screening"

I know v little about Hollywood, but I'm a little surprised they would have a major agency "screening" after it has already been playing in SF for a couple of weeks.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CDS,

"Boss just saw Eastern Promises at CAA Screening"

I know v little about Hollywood, but I'm a little surprised they would have a major agency "screening" after it has already been playing in SF for a couple of weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got to remember the #1 way people get jobs/move up in hollywood...networking.

Whenever CAA a client with a film, or a actress/actor etc they will often show it during screenings etc...in part as a courtesy to clients and a bit of a status symbol/good showing by CAA to allow clients to see films without going to theatres etc..but also because if say, my boss, is starting to ramp up production on the sequel to our first movie...we need a director and are starting to think about casting. So CAA def wants my boss to see their stuff and doesn't want to take the chance that my boss will skip it, given its only playing at two theatres in LA.

Also a decent amount of CAA's clients will often go to the screenings so it is a chance to mingle/network etc.

They showed Once like 3 weeks after it was released. It is usually the smaller films that will be shown after they have already been released. Once, Becoming Jane, Promises, Into the Wild, etc
Old 09-20-2007, 10:47 PM

Oh and Diablo..these are at lunch time. Not your typical evening screenings. mainly for CAA clients only or if your high enough in the biz or know the right person..other people too.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:10 AM

CDS,

Gotcha. So more of like a "private viewing" than the special event type thing I was thinking of when you used the word "screening."

OK, this is my new focus in life. Get to the point where I am on the list for lunchtime screenings at agencies.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
CDS,

Gotcha. So more of like a "private viewing" than the special event type thing I was thinking of when you used the word "screening."

OK, this is my new focus in life. Get to the point where I am on the list for lunchtime screenings at agencies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah there are like a lot of differnt types of screenings that can occur prior to a films general release.

1. Premiere..obv what this is...mainly a PR event.

2. General public sneak previews/screenings(the kind a dude with a clipboard bugs u about) used to try and determine how the film is scoring with an audience.(this is the one most directors hate)

3. Film Festival Screenings/Rollout type of sneak screenings..obv what the first is. Again free publicity/word of mouth. 2nd type is usually used to increase audience awareness if a film has poor tracking or if the studio is cheap and doesn't want to spend any $$ on marketing the film. Thus hoping all those college kids spread the word about "Harold and Kumar 2" from all the sneak screenings on college campuses etc.

4. Special Official screenings run through the studio that is releasing the film. Usually anyone who works in the industry, and lots of fringe people and anyone who is somewhat clever can get into these. These also include one for critics,press,etc. More PR etc

5. Special Members Only Type Screenings--these are usually done on the lot in a special screening room, maybe at the director/producers house, at the agency screening room that reps the star,director,etc; and sometimes at the request of a specific star or producer if it is being used as a means to land a specific piece of talent. IE Producer X wants to get Actress Z for their new film but the director isn't sold on her based off of the work he has seen given she is kind of a bimbo typical hollywood star. So the studio will arrange for a special screening so the director,producer,etc can see how amazing she is in the film that comes out in 4 months. etc etc.
These are obv the hardest to get into.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:48 PM

For anyone who lives in NYC who is a movie fan, NYU offers a class called Movies 101 that has screenings of new movies. Its similar to inside the actors studio, usually someone from the movie is interviewed during class. I was in the Winter, Spring and Summer sessions this past year, the highlight was James Gandofini being interviewed in class the Wed. after the Sopranos finale.
The fall semester is best since there are more Oscar caliber films, very few "blockbuster" movies. There are also occasionally bonus screenings on weekends (ex. The Kingdom this Sunday morning, earlier this month September Boys starring Harry Potter where he was in class and interviewed). Its $450 and I think there are slots available in the Thursday class. The prof. is a bit pretentious but I really enjoy the class.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:21 PM

All,

Just saw Eastern Promises. Very solid. Not as gory/violent as I'd been led to believe, though there were definitely some hardcore scenes. A little more restrained style for Cronenberg. Really enjoyed this movie, highly recommend.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Mist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP-MHO_M6ik

Based of off a Stephen King story

normally I'd write it off as lame horror movie except for this

written and directed by Frank Darabont
Shawshank, The Green Mile, etc

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved the novella when I first read it...but I don't remember the bible-thumping character played by Marcia Gay Harden in the movie...was she in the original story??