Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 09:51 AM

Default Re: $40/$80 borgata AA

I like betting to induce a bluff for all the reasons Adebisi said, but if I'm checking, it's to check/raise.

Because he is a tough LAG, he'll valuebet with a good portion of his range--someone said if he can beat AK, he'll bet, which strikes me as true. If that's his range, we should raise when he bets, no? All this should be compounded by the fact that he shouldn't be folding any hand that he valuebets given what he thinks of hero.

Anyway I think b/c>>>>c/r>>>>c/c>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>b/f>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>&gt ;>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>&gt ;>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>&gt ;>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>&gt ;>>>>c/f
Old 10-06-2007, 10:10 AM

I really don't like C/R either. I have no interest in possibly putting 3 bets in on this river with AA.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:12 AM

i don't understand why everyone is saying bet to induce a bluff raise. this is a bet to induce a call. of course if you get raised you have to call but it's rarely going to be a bluff unless drbk's friend plays bad
Old 10-06-2007, 10:33 AM

Bakku is obviously right; the bet is primarily for value. But it has the added merit of potentially inducing a bluff raise. Checking causes you to lose value from many hands that would call if you bet, as your opponent is unlikely to fall into the trap and bluff at it.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet/call the river. Betting is the only way to give him a chance to bluff. If you check, he's going to know it's a defensive check and you are definately showing down. Betting gives him the chance to try to take the pot off you with AQ.

I think that the straigtht expected value of betting vs. check/calling is pretty irrelavent here, because if you check, he'll value bet any hands he would call with (basically anything that beats AK).

So it just comes down his range: How often does he have nothing that he'd attempt a bluff with vs. how often he has 88 or a 9 in his hand. Given your description of how you guys play eachother and the way the board developed, I think he'd try for a bluff raise a significant percentage of the times he has busted hand on the river. A few people in this thread have already advocted a bet/fold line, so a bluff raise should definately be in his bag of tricks if he's a tough lag.

Check/folding is obv. retarded. He'll very rarely bluff here, but he can value bet worse hands. Usually when a decent aggro player takes your pre/flop/turn line, then checks the river, it means AK. So if he decided to take 44 to showdown here, there's a reasonable chance he'll value bet once you check the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, this is just an awesome post and almost exactly how I was thinking.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think its a bet-fold on the river brian..
who were the opponents? my answer might diff depending on who the villain was

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike the musician was the raiser and ian was the cold caller on the button.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:20 PM

Just bet. Your CR is not getting called by anything that you can beat but a bet may get called. Also this is not the spot where you can induce a bluff bet (pot is big enough so he knows that he is getting called). Just bet.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:26 PM

Anyone trying to bluff raise in this pot hates money with a passion.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is kind of a boring hand I guess, but I'm trying to make some more posts since I think my game is starting to plateau a little.

My friend and regular in the game is pretty laggy both preflop and postflop. He's the main villain in this hand. He views me as being all over the map depending on the day from really tight to really LAG and in the past we've played some pretty sick hands against each other. Pretty much we believe that the other is capable of anything with any two cards on any street.

Preflop: Villain raises in late middle. Good LAG cold calls on button, I 3 bet AA (no heart) from the small blind, villain caps, we call. Three of us

Flop: J T 7 two hearts one club. I bet out, villain calls, button calls.

Turn: 7c. I bet villain calls, button folds.

River: 8s. My plan and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

given your read on villian and his read on you:

1) insta c'r that flop. perfect flop. you may get 3 bets (4 if you decide to cap) out of him (he thinks youa re capable of anything and thus can easily put you on KQhh, AJ etc.). your only real worry here is JJ/TT/JT since you said he plays fairly loosely and in mid/late will open a lot (i'd say he almost never has JT here though). you should try to get a ton of value here. that is what you spent all that time doing strange stuff with him and where yoiu have to use the image you've built with him.

2) bet/call that river unless last guy raises both of you. then i think you can fold.Q9s would be the hand i'm pretty sure he has, possibly J9s or just J9 or T9. but that guy is absolutely never bluffing if he raises both you and villian since he expects at the very least you to call and therefore you are beat.

Barron
Old 10-06-2007, 03:35 PM

Some interesting responses. Here are some of my thoughts.

Flop: I wanted to bet out and get the initial raiser to fold out the player on the button. The player on the button is laggy but plays pretty straightfowardly against me because he thinks I play really really tight and he recognizes that my range from the small blind here is small.

River: I bet and got raised and I called and he knocks the table and i showed him AA (he's a friend of mine and I didn't want to have him show an embarassing bluff at the table and I knew he would tell me later if I asked him anyway). I was pretty sure the entire hand that he didn't have anything so I did bet to induce the bluff raise. I thought by checking he knew i was planning to check call and would probably check behind. I think this is the first hand where I actually had in mind to induce a bluff raise.