Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Chances this plan works? (Both professors let me make up the exams)
100% 12 4.27%
90% 32 11.39%
80% 47 16.73%
70% 48 17.08%
60% 30 10.68%
50% 40 14.23%
40% 14 4.98%
30% 21 7.47%
20% 13 4.63%
10% or less 24 8.54%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2007, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Guitar Hero III

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i gotta figure out how to do the hammer-ons and pull-offs. that's not part of my arsenal yet, and i'm still a little shaky with the blue button, but getting better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still on medium too, so I'm probably not the best person to ask, but when I started on easy and medium, I started with my index finger on green and just used the next finger for each button so my pinky ended up on blue. I switched so my index finger now starts on red and I slide up for green, so that my ring finger hits blue. It was much easier and my scores went up. Although I guess I'll have to learn how to use my pinky to move up and be good at hard.

Maybe GT1T or another expert player can give us the best starting position for their hand.

Also, my GT= ev3rett if anyone wants to play. I played someone last night and he FC'd two of the three songs, then was mocking me when we were on the recap screen. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Force yourself to learn to use your pinky. You will be better for it. Only in rare parts do I purposefully avoid using my pinky
Old 10-30-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just a general question, for you GH pros.... on the harder levels is it a requirement that you be able to strum up and down? Right now I'm only strumming in one direction, and I think strumming up/down will take some major practice.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes definitely. you can pass most of the songs on hard (i think?) without alt-strumming, but i'm not sure how far you could get on expert. it'll take some time to get used to it, but you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]
i've never alt strummed and i beat gh2 on expert. i just use my thumb, though i guess i have an abnormally quick thumb or something. i have to use the alt strumming for the super fast notes but that's only for a couple songs
Old 10-30-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm still on medium too, so I'm probably not the best person to ask, but when I started on easy and medium, I started with my index finger on green and just used the next finger for each button so my pinky ended up on blue. I switched so my index finger now starts on red and I slide up for green, so that my ring finger hits blue. It was much easier and my scores went up. Although I guess I'll have to learn how to use my pinky to move up and be good at hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're on the right track in regards to sliding. you should also be getting used to using that pinky finger. it takes time, but you'll learn to use it eventually. once you hit the later stages of the game, you'll be sliding your hand up and down so fast it will just become a fluid motion. you will figure out different finger combinations that work for different parts of each song. the pinky will be necessary for this.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just a general question, for you GH pros.... on the harder levels is it a requirement that you be able to strum up and down? Right now I'm only strumming in one direction, and I think strumming up/down will take some major practice.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes definitely. you can pass most of the songs on hard (i think?) without alt-strumming, but i'm not sure how far you could get on expert. it'll take some time to get used to it, but you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]
i've never alt strummed and i beat gh2 on expert. i just use my thumb, though i guess i have an abnormally quick thumb or something. i have to use the alt strumming for the super fast notes but that's only for a couple songs

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with this. i was the same way, but it was only because i couldn't figure out how to alt strum properly until the later stages of all my playing. i have been finding myself using the alt strumming technique more in gh3 than i did with gh2. it's nice to be able to switch back and forth between the two.

also, you're doing a disservice to yourself by not getting it for the 360
Old 10-30-2007, 05:17 PM

Yay just got my ass kicked by GetThere1Time on live

I tried to gay him by picking Closer. Put I missed in it lol. I can take some comfort though that my 4th place Closer score is beating his 5th place score by 8 points lol. But no comfort in him nearly doubling by score in Take This Life and Pride and Joy
Old 10-30-2007, 05:24 PM

ohmy god I have tried lou on expert like 10000000 times and i can't beat it i am going insane
Old 10-30-2007, 06:09 PM

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

its abotu time
Old 10-30-2007, 06:16 PM

hehe. congrats. i'm just 3-starring my way through medium right now. somehow i just 5-starred even flow so i'm happy.

i'm trying to play online for wii but it doesn't seem like there are many players. hard to get a game going?

anyone have wii? post your friend code in the other thread.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe GT1T or another expert player can give us the best starting position for their hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really best to learn how to use your pinky as soon as possible. I personally have stubby fingers so I'm always using my pinky. As you move up in difficulty, its important to have your hand moving as little as possible. It's not necessary. I know a few very good 3 finger guitar heroes but to make that work for you you have to be damn quick and have big hands. Positioning wise, I start my hand with the index on the green and shift up as needed. I hit most all of the YO and BO chords in the game with my middle/pinky and ring/pinky

Getting better at HOPOs are tough at first. The best advice I can give is to remember to hit the buttons you're trying to HOPO on the notes. I know it sounds simple but most people just see a blob of HOPOable notes and move their fingers quickly in that direction and end up going too fast. That's not gonna cut it. Good songs to practice medium/slow HOPOs are Jessica in GH2 and Impulse and The Metal in GH3.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:51 PM

I think to be a good gh player you have to use your pinky. I'm sure theres a few guys who are just sick sick sick and can do it with like 2 fingers but for 99% of people you're going to have to use your pinky to beat expert. I use a pretty basic hand setup, just 4 fingers, switching pinky to orange when theres a note there, and using index on red. I'll keep my hands in that spot until theres another green note and then i'll shift my hand back up, then back again when theres another orange note etc.