Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP

Old 11-27-2007, 11:45 PM

Default Re: HPT at Majestic Star - starts Saturday

gut, forget 5/10NL @MSII during HPT & go next door to Resorts...the $1K max game rocks
Old 11-27-2007, 11:46 PM

Yeah, the satellite structure did look seriously lame, but that isn't too surprising. Since I haven't spent much time in the local live scene, I figure it might be better to get my feet wet in satellites. I certainly might change my mind. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:38 AM

In case anyone cares, it would appear that there is some confusion on the HPT website about the satellites. Not all the folks in the Majestic Star card room seem to get what is happening either, based on my phone conversation this afternoon.

Anyhow, the HPT website seems to suggest that there are only SNG qualifiers running, but that they are scheduled at particular times. In fact, the SNGs are just that, run whenever there is a full list, but there are also multi-table tourneys that have the same buy-in ($125) as the two-winner SNGs. The top 20% get qualifier seats. The structure isn't anything wonderful, but it was a lot better than the SNG structure.

So, if you want to play for a qualifier seat and don't want the mind-numbing SNG structure, there is another choice, though there are a limited number of opportunities.

I did manage to win a seat, and I'm set to play a qualifier on Sunday night now. I wouldn't characterize too many of the players from this early round as terrible, but there certainly were at least few that were off-the-charts bad, including some that qualified (anyone there knows who I am referring to). I guess that I should be glad for that. Good luck to anyone else who is planning to play.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:28 AM

Last time I played there were a number of people who won their seats at the $550 qualifier by winning a $125 SNG. I agree that some were pretty bad, I sat there wondering how lucky they were to have won a SNG and how lucky I was that they were at my table.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:54 PM

never have heard of any 125 mtt's at majestic, and i have played every hpt event they have hosted. it is, however, possible that i could have missed something. as far as i know it was just 65 or 125 singles or the 560 mtt, with the top 20% qualifying. they will also run some 560 sngs on the last day before me starts.

it is not really surprising that so called terrible players are qualifying thru the sngs as they are nothing but a shove fest from the get-go.

when did you qualify? was it busy?
Old 11-30-2007, 10:33 PM

winky - the $125 MTT top 20% pays a qualifier seat is very interesting - this event type is news to me, having played multiple HPT venues...don't see anything on-line regarding structure...post link if you see something

gl
Old 12-01-2007, 03:54 AM

I am pretty sure that there is no reference to the MTT structure online, just as there is no indication that such an event existed. It is quite possible that one of the pieces of literature available in the card room itself may have described the structure.

The MTT started Thursday night at 7:00. (If you look at the information here: http://www.heartlandpokertour.com/ev...007&eid=17 , the spots that look like $125 SNGs were actually MTTs, and I do not believe that there will be any more MTTs) There were 71 entrants, so there were 14 seats and change. I failed to get a seat, getting just past halfway. I was in well-above average chip position and went completely card dead. A very badly-timed table change put me in the big blind twice in a few hands, and the antes ate me up.

So, after I lost, I got on a list for a $125 SNG. It took forever to fill up, but thankfully I got my seat on the second try. I had no ability to go back today (Friday), so I had little choice but to take a shot or pay the full $560 for the next round.

I would say that 71 players for the tourney was pretty good for a room of that size on a Thursday, and there were probably only a couple of empty tables at the start. But, I'm not a regular, so I don't know the usual traffic. Things got a bit thin later in the night after the MTT ended.

I just don't get the $66 SNGs. There is already enough luck involved in a 2-winner single table, but add in the heads-up shovefest at the end, and it just isn't worth the time at all.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:06 PM

Not quite sure why everyone is confused by their satellite structure. I personally think the HPT satellite structure rocks.. They allow for a lot of bad players to get in, and have a decent sturcture for the good players.

They have a $65 SNG (which awards 1 seat) and a $125 SNG (which awards 2 seats) to the M.E. satellite.

The $560 M.E. Satellite (which is obv a MTT) awards the top 20% of players seats the HPT M.E. There is no $125 satellite (only SNGs). This is the only way to satellite into the M.E. that I know of. However I think (upon request) they may run some $560 SNG's where 2 M.E. entries are given.

The SNG's go off as they fill up, usually there are plenty of people willing to play these, but they only run on a few tables so there is usually a list. The M.E. Satellite is run usually twice a day at 1PM and 7PM. The times for the M.E. Satellite and the structure for them can be found here: http://www.heartlandpokertour.com/ev...007&eid=17

For those saying that the SNG's are a waste of time, this is completly untrue. Almost all sngs you play (online or live) have a fast structure. This is WAY better for the good players. Like I said before if you can beat the $10 SNG's online, you should be able to CRUSH these live ones. If your push/fold game is good, and you can afford to play a few of these, you should be able to win multiple times.

I have played many of the sng's and rarely do not make it to the final few players. The play at the start of these is just utterly horrible. People love to stack off with KJo early in the sng. Then when the blinds get bigger I see some just awful horrible calls that people make, and they do not push NEARLY enough. I usually just sit tight until the blinds get big and play a solid push/fold game. Obviously there is some varience, but the horrible plays that other people are making should more than compensate you for your time.

Anyways, good luck to everyone who will be playing. I will attempt my first satellite on monday night.