Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2006, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Learning to Cold Call

Save cold calling for hands that can stand a big pot. like KQs, AJs, even AQs (once in a while), just calling with KQo is a big mistake. Establish a range for the PFR, Isolate or fold.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:28 AM

I dont see what makes coldcalling in this situation a better play than 3-betting. By coldcalling you welcome others to join the pot with a hand that doesn`t play well multiway. You are now forced to hit one of your cards to win this pot when you often could have taken down a pot that you didn`t hit by just betting the flop.
Could you elaborate what your reasons were for coldcalling here?
Old 02-17-2006, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Not sure why you would want to learn to cold call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I think long-term success means having a lot of variety in your game. And I think my game right now is very narrow.

/mc

[/ QUOTE ]

Cold-calling is not the kind of variety you want in your game, at least not cold-calling with easily dominated hands like KQ. I fold KQo to a raise unless the raiser is the cutoff/button or has an overly high pre-flop raise percentage. KQs is too pretty for me to fold most of the time so I often reraise with it.

SpaceAce
Old 02-17-2006, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Not sure why you would want to learn to cold call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I think long-term success means having a lot of variety in your game. And I think my game right now is very narrow.

/mc

[/ QUOTE ]

Narrowness isn't the reason you haven't moved up to 10/20. Cold calling sucks. Coldcalling with KJo is atrocious. KQo, is merely bad. Suited connectors are laughable. I'm having success and I rarely coldcall.

Spots where I do are with pp when I think it will be multiway and I can play for set value or when the raiser is on my right and I can get a protection raise on the flop (less common). I have a 3-bettable hand HU but there is a cold-caller before the action gets to me. Like a 20% PFR opens UTG, CO calls, and I'm on the button w/KQs, AJo, ATs.

Krishan
Old 02-17-2006, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a 3-bettable hand HU but there is a cold-caller before the action gets to me. Like a 20% PFR opens UTG, CO calls, and I'm on the button w/KQs, AJo, ATs.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't want to get too detail-oriented, and I know a lot "depends," but are you coldcalling KQs there specifically to keep the pot smaller and hope to push people out on the flop? To build a big pot with a great multiway hand by inviting the blinds?

I'd 3bet that pretty quickly because the big blind will often come along anyways (depending, obviously, but unknown 5/10 will call 2 from the BB with lots) and 3bets at least 3 ways is a big enough pot to get me started in any case, and I'd rather fold out Ax, low PP, whatever.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:52 PM

This thread has confirmed that there isn't some secret, short-handed, expert-play cold-calling technique that I wasn't aware of.

I will continue to avoid it, and look for more promising ways to mess with my game.

Thanks, all, for the input.

/mc
Old 02-17-2006, 01:51 PM

Against a tight Preflopraiser, KQo is clearly a Fold. If he raises looser, I would 3-bet. When you just cold call, you give the Blinds the right pot odds to enter, and this can be a desaster for your hand.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:12 PM

Sure there is. Cold call when you want to encourage a big, multiway pot. That is all.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure there is. Cold call when you want to encourage a big, multiway pot. That is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

And cold-call with hands that have big impiled odds and are easy to play post-flop againsts multiple opponents. (read: medium pairs)
Old 02-17-2006, 02:20 PM

Nice hand, keikiwai.