Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2006, 06:44 AM

Default Re: The Auto Fold

You guys were kind of harsh. I enjoyed the article, more so than some others. It may not be realistic, but it's fun to read about people trying to spread misinformation.

And who's to say it doesn't actually work for the author? Haven't we all seen some fun deception plays that worked?

I remember a guy who joined my table and on about his third hand he gets into a BIG pot preflop. Flop comes 6 7 J rainbow, opponent bets into him. He thinks for a while then meakly tosses out a call while saying "What - is Ace King no good at this table?".

Turn is a 2, another bet and call.

River is a King, opponent checks, loudmouth bets and wins when opponent folds. Then loudmouth shows 43 offsuit. So he was chasing a gutshot, but he won because of his deceptive statement.

I actually don't think he should have shown, as it didn't seem to set up any plays later in the day, but it was good for a laugh and a bunch of chips.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:14 AM

Default Re: The Auto Fold

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have a theory that most players are only capable of noticing and remembering how maybe two or three opponents are playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember to factor in that many players tend to play the same. They just aren't really that different to really worry about the very minor subtleties.

[ QUOTE ]
I think there is an enormous amount to be said for being so nondescript and boring that no one thinks about you at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

True to a point. Eventually, even the live ones will realize the tight rock at the table. They also, through repetition, tend to remember the guys who seem to always cash out with some sugar.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

I am pretty quiet at the table, and play pretty tight. More than a few times I've had the table joker point out that I have entered the pot (usually with a raise) and say something like "uh, oh, gotta watch out, HE raised!". And ya know what? People still call. The joker might call just cos he wants to gamble and/or cos he might wanna put a beat on the "rock." Others call because...well, because they like to call.

I would never say to pass up a legitimate way to increase EV, but imho, this article's tactics would be more just to lighten things up and have fun and create a less serious image (which may or may not help EV) than to get value.

I do think the article is pretty much filler, but not too bad.