Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2007, 03:15 PM

Default Jewelry store breaks my Rolex and refuses to pay, what\'s my move?

I bought a Rolex Oysterquartz online last September. I took it in to a jewelry store to have a link removed because the bracelet was loose. Instead of removing the link the guy doing the repairs went ahead and decided to open up the case because he saw that it wasn't sealed and that moisture was getting in. Well in the process of opening up the case he breaks the watch (because the case was crossthreaded). The store sends the watch in to Rolex but they say the watch is broken beyond repair. When I walk into the store asking to be compensated for the broken watch, they refuse. The store owner starts questioning the value of the watch, saying it isn't worth the $3000 that I paid for it, that parts were already broken, that he's "not eating it" and that he'll contact his son, who's an attorney. I guess one thing I should note is that I'm 22 and this guy is in his 60's so he probably takes me lightly.

Now the owner of the store is a two-faced scumbag and I would like nothing less than to see this man and his business suffer. I had to threaten him with a lawsuit just to make him stop ducking me. He doesn't know how to run a business or how to take care of his customers and he has a reputation for being underhanded. I've already contacted the people I bought the watch from and they will be backing me up concerning the value and quality of the watch. I would rather settle out of court but I feel I have a strong case if this goes to small claims.

So if this goes to court should I hire an attorney, especially if the guy I'm suing have one? Should I look to be compensated for sentimental value? Are there any criminal charges I can press? I would really like to milk this guy if he makes me go to court with him.

Also if you have any suggestions for things I can do out of court to "encourage" the scumbag to reimburse me let me know.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Jewelry store breaks my Rolex and refuses to pay, what\'s my move?

cliffnotes: I bring a Rolex to a jewelry store to have a link removed. They open up the case, breaking it beyond repair. Now they refuse to pay 3k saying the watch isn't worth that much. My action?
Old 01-25-2007, 03:20 PM

I'd bring in the receipt, and then it's off to small claims court.

This guys sounds like a scumbag, and it makes me wonder why you brought the watch to him in the first place.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:22 PM

Does he sell Rolex in his store? Depending what the markup is on a Rolex, you might be able to negotiate a pretty good deal with him. Essentially, because the replacement cost for him is less (as he buys for wholesale prices) you can probably negotiate with him to give you a new watch out of the deal.

Essentially you are made whole (or better) with a new Rolex (retail of $4250) and he doesn't have to pay your replacement costs, rather he just pays wholesale (maybe $1700-$2000.)
Old 01-25-2007, 03:24 PM

Cropdust the front counter.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:27 PM

In all situations like this lately, I've been advising interested parties to kidnap a family member/spouse of the offender. Probably your most effective course of action.

Really though, your case sounds very solid, especially if you didn't authorize or request him to do any work beyond the watch band. Also, even if you did authorize them to do it, and then they crossthreaded the case and effectively ruined the watch, I still think they'd be on the hook for the damage/replacement.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd bring in the receipt, and then it's off to small claims court.

This guys sounds like a scumbag, and it makes me wonder why you brought the watch to him in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had never met the owner of the store prior to my watch being broken, and I had heard nothing about the store before I brought my watch in to them. The jewelry store had been out-sourcing all their repairs to some other organization, so the guy who worked on my watch is not the owner. It takes 5 minutes to remove a link from a watch and is a very simple procedure if you have the tools for it and I did not anticipate the guy going ahead and opening the case.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does he sell Rolex in his store? Depending what the markup is on a Rolex, you might be able to negotiate a pretty good deal with him. Essentially, because the replacement cost for him is less (as he buys for wholesale prices) you can probably negotiate with him to give you a new watch out of the deal.

Essentially you are made whole (or better) with a new Rolex (retail of $4250) and he doesn't have to pay your replacement costs, rather he just pays wholesale (maybe $1700-$2000.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll keep this in mind, thanks.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:51 PM

Faucet,

"I bought a Rolex Oysterquartz online last September."
"Should I look to be compensated for sentimental value?"

Hahahahhaa, WTF?

Sounds like a standard small-claims situation.

"He doesn't know how to run a business or how to take care of his customers and he has a reputation for being underhanded."

When/how did you find this out?
Old 01-25-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Faucet,

"I bought a Rolex Oysterquartz online last September."
"Should I look to be compensated for sentimental value?"

Hahahahhaa, WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do not poke fun. OP bought said watch before doing a tour in Iraq and his subsequent POW ordeal. I think you know the rest: