Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-08-2007, 03:06 AM

Default Re: This Season of SNL

SNL Syndrome-

Everyone thinks hte current season of SNL sucks, and then like 3 years later, wow it was pretty good.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
SNL Syndrome-

Everyone thinks hte current season of SNL sucks, and then like 3 years later, wow it was pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think SNL three years ago sucked too.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:08 PM

"...means I somehow don't like sketch comedy is pretty ridiculous and I think a bit insulting even."

Heh. If you find this insulting then I think your skin is a little thin, Bob.

The fact is that SNL has been pretty good over the past year and a half. Since the loss of Will Ferrell they have gone through a painfully bad patch with casts like this:

Rachel Dratch
Jimmy Fallon
Tina Fey
Darrell Hammond
Chris Kattan
Tracy Morgan
Chris Parnell
Amy Poehler
Maya Rudolph
Horatio Sanz
Fred Armisen
Dean Edwards
Will Forte
Seth Meyers
Jeff Richards

Not that everyone on that list was horrible but Jimmy Fallon as your main player just isn't going to cut it. In addition to bringing in some strong young players they also trimmed the cast from 15 to 11 which has tightened things up. They have a solid cast at the moment and I stand by my comments.

If you don't like the show now you probably never will be nor were you ever much of a fan of SNL or sketch comedy in general - which is fine, this isn't the end of the world - there's a lot of stuff that people enjoy that I'm not a fan of... whatever. Perhaps I could qualify it and say televised sketch comedy. There is something about the atmosphere when seeing this stuff live that can make mediocre skits amusing - especially if it is improvised versus scripted.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:23 PM

Wires,

Blanket statements like that are usually never true, and almost always make the person saying it look like a douchebag.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Blanket statements like that are usually never true, and almost always make the person saying it look like a douchebag.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Almost" being the key word here. Obviously I'm the exception since I'm way to awesome of a guy to be considered a douchebag - go ahead and ask my mother.

Seriously though. There was no malicious intent. It's a thread about Saturday Night Live so I'll survive if you disagree with me

... even though we both know you're wrong. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SNL Syndrome-

[/ QUOTE ]

To some extent this is just because you remember the good sketches. Even in a great year you have maybe 10-20 great sketches out of the whole year. When you have to actually sit through an episode and it's terrible after terrible you go "this sucks". When you think back about the good old days you just remember the funny stuff.

SNL could be so much better if they didn't try to do it weekly and just did a normal season of like 15 episodes a year and spend more time writing them. Instead it has that obvious "we have to fill an hour somebody come up with something quick" feeling.

BTW somebody listed great sketch shows that were more consistent and didn't list Kid in the Hall ? WTF?
Old 11-08-2007, 04:51 PM

"Kid in the Hall"

Easily the best of the bunch, imo. I had the opportunity to see them live around 5 years ago in Toronto on one of their reunion tours and they were fantastic.