Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Coaching/Training > DeucesCracked.com

Old 10-24-2007, 04:26 AM

Default Re: Video: Entity and the Road to Robusto

[ QUOTE ]
Is the Road to Robusto series all 6max LHE? From the video list it looks like its all SH, but I can't tell if they are all limit.

Also where I can get that table mod for FTP? It is by far the most pleasing I've seen and would make staring at my screen for hours at a time much less straining on my eyes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes its all 6 max LHE starting at 50c/1 and through 2/4 I believe.

Check out this post which has a link to the table mod and instructions.

-DeathDonkey
Old 10-24-2007, 08:49 AM

could you guys please use a 4 color deck next time? this is especially crucial when you have a black background.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:52 AM

yeah i agree i think at fold is pretty bad.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rob,

I think your AT fold is really bad. Obviously his most likely hand is a flush and a hand like 65s or T6s could also be betting. But there is too good of a chance he has a hand like T8/T9/JT/QT/KT that waited to see if overcards came and then decided to bet this "safe" river hoping to get a call from a worse pair or A high. Or that he has a ridiculous hand like A6, or he's making a ridiculous bluff with QJ.

I think this is an example of where you overvalued your read. Your read is good in that it tells you that you are beat a lot, more than one would expect without a read. But it's pretty much irrelevant, because the pot is laying you a good enough price (7 to 1) to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

At 7:1 I don't think it's even close to a pretty bad fold. It might be slightly bad but the combo of stats and how he had played top pair in the past on very similar boards made me very inclined to think that he's not one to make a thin valuebet at all, and he is one to be afraid the river is going to be checked through. You'll note that I timed out trying to make the decision which is partly a byproduct of talking while making the decision but mostly that I think it's razor-thin vs. this player and anyone saying "it's a bad fold" hasn't played these limits or doesn't remember what a tight-passive player's river value bets are like.

Rob
Old 10-24-2007, 10:29 PM

Rob, I don't remember over how many hands you had developed your read on this player (you were playing this table before the video started I presume).

The problem I have is that players at low limits when I was roading it to robustoness did lots of strange erratic things, even players that otherwise seemed decent or better. There were few players who you could put on a definite, narrow range of hands where you'd be right 7 out of 8 times. I'll admit that evolutionary forces have likely come into play since that time, and the more erratic players have likely been thinned out of the games to a certain extent by frequent losing.

I do see how it could be a thin fold against some players, especially in a live game (where paradoxically one has a smaller sample size to base their read on, but there are so many other observations that can reinforce a read based on betting patterns). I'd need more than he usually does c/c, c/c b his top pair hands to fold here. First, I need to know he has little to no chance to have made some bad peels with Q high or K high and decided to make a desparation bluff to knock out A highs; second, I need to have a good reason he'd neither check/raise a flush draw nor check/raise a made flush on the river. Sure I might feel like he might not do these things and if it were a no limit hand where his c/c's narrowed his range significantly (so that flush draws were a much larger part of his range after a turn call), betting out with a flush on the river made more sense, and the odds I was getting were something like 2:1, then it would be a trivially easy fold.

I'd be curious if you were willing to go back and post some (all if there aren't too many) of the past hands you had played against him at that point where he showed his hand and see what kind of read we could collectively come up with in hindsight. I'd also be interested in trying to esimate our equity given that read. With my limited read of casually watching your video in the background while I was doing other things, I'd put your equity at about 20-25% when he donks that river. Whereas if spourgitis had been the one donking, I'd put your equity at about 80-85% and expect you won't get 3bet unless he has Ah xh. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2007, 02:33 PM

Great video. I play the same tables (3/6 now) and the video actually made me some money already since I faced one of the players you analyzed in the video (spourgitis) who was kind enough to sit down on my right.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:24 AM

"loose passive, semi-spastic" is possibly the best description of a player i've ever heard. :-p
Old 11-05-2007, 08:06 PM

thank you for putting up the video and inviting questions...here's one re: your play versus loose spastic player on your left in the 1st game

the rule of thumb is to open raise in 6 max rather than limp...

but with a loose player on your left, i thought a few times i thought you might limp early with your low suited 1 or 2 gapped hands, or maybe even with high/low suited hands not A high...you had an opponent to your left that seemed to play all hands usually calling if the pot opened already, and i believe the rest of the table was playing passive--was i wrong on those counts? and if the table was loose passive pre-flop would you play low suited connectors early?...your thoughts: ?
Old 11-06-2007, 11:36 AM

I don't get the 88 preflop cap. OK, so you've got Sporgitis cold-calling light and the other guy played really badly postflop, but you don't have anything to say that he's crazy preflop. Does 88 really have a big enough equity edge to cap?
Old 11-09-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get the 88 preflop cap. OK, so you've got Sporgitis cold-calling light and the other guy played really badly postflop, but you don't have anything to say that he's crazy preflop. Does 88 really have a big enough equity edge to cap?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the advantage that capping will usually have there is that it will help to define my opponent's handrange by their postflop actions vs me much better than if I were to just call. In addition, I get to push a small equity edge preflop but more importantly, this isn't the sort of opponent who I believe will resteal easily postflop vs. me even if the pot is very large, so I get to take advantage of the loose-spastic guy and the somewhat shortstacked (IIRC) guy who is 3-betting a bit wider than normal, IMO.

Rob