Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 12:35 AM

Default 25NL TPTK Raised a donk bet and got called...T & R Lines?

Full Tilt Poker, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 9 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

<font color="green">Reads: Villan is a super loose calling station type player, who has been donk betting and folding to my and every other players raises all session. Stats: 58/7/2.5 through about 120 hands.</font>

BTN: $20.55
SB: $9.75
BB: $41.20
UTG: $35.35
UTG+1: $5.50
UTG+2: $10
Hero (MP1): $62.65
MP2: $25
CO: $8.10

UTG+2 posts $0.25
Pre-Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (MP1)
2 folds, UTG+2 checks, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.10</font>, MP2 calls $1.10, 3 folds, BB calls $0.85, UTG+2 folds

<font color="blue"> I basically wanted to isolate the villan here because he has been such easy money all session and it worked. </font>

Flop: ($3.65) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $0.25</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $4.40</font>, MP2 folds, BB calls $4.15

<font color="blue">This is the first donk bet that I have raised that he has calls this whole session and I think I may have raised him like 7+ times. What do you think this indicates? Strength? A Draw? (I havent seen villan raise on the come yet) </font>

Turn: ($12.45) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $2</font>, Hero calls $2

<font color="blue"> I dont see a better line, I don't think I can just give up TPTK here. Villan's line is so off from how hes played this session, it got me all off I didnt think through the best moves here at all. </font>

River: ($16.45) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $3</font>, Hero?

<font color="blue">I dont know if I can call it screams valuebet, but is he bluffing 1/5.5x? </font>
Old 10-14-2007, 01:14 AM

Default Re: 25NL TPTK Raised a donk bet and got called...T & R Lines?

At the risk of sounding too nitty, I fold AQo here preflop.

But if you love to play AQo for a raise, your raise and your flop raise look good.

On the turn, calling the tiny bet is fine.

On the river, you have to call the tiny bet. No point in raising, but the pot odds are too much to fold. Call and see what kind of strange hand he played this way. It's worth $3 just for the information.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At the risk of sounding too nitty, I fold AQo here preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

I play AQo in every position and moreoften there is poster in the hand who just checked. Free 0.25 cents!!!!!

2 reasons why I would call the river - there is little chance you have best hand and to get info, what this small donk bets mean.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
At the risk of sounding too nitty, I fold AQo here preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

I play AQo in every position and moreoften there is poster in the hand who just checked. Free 0.25 cents!!!!!

2 reasons why I would call the river - there is little chance you have best hand and to get info, what this small donk bets mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

At my local cardroom, the guys at 5/5 NL live who buy-in for $500-$1000 and play AQo from every position for a raise and overplay their continuation bets and top-pairs OOP go home broke.

I play tight in the front, and loose in the back (at least, pretty loose on the button, anyway).

And in EP/MP I'll limp/fold AQs to play a small top-pair pot OOP, and often end up with a nice little profit for my troubles that I would have failed to win if I'd raised. Moreover, when I'm beaten OOP, I get away much, much cheaper than otherwise. And it's not all that easy to exploit if I play sets and sometimes AA the same way.

Position is critical to success in NL. And saying, "I play AQo in every position..." is not good at all.

For example, I would raise 78s in the OP's position but fold AQo. The reason is that I will c-b most (but not all) flops, and fold if I (1) missed the flop, and (2) get played back at. However, if I hit the flop and get played back at, then I'll stack some guy who has 2-pair thinking I have an overpair or top pair with my miracle straight.

Raising premium hands in EP and some occasional deceptive hands that are unlikely to flop TPWK are the ones I'll open raise with in this kind of position.

The point of the game is to get the other guys entire stack. AQo OOP is unlikely to do that.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:40 AM

I agree that AQos is not a hand you HAVE to play in any position but I think it's ok in OP's hand.
In fact, he is playing that hand mainly for one reason: isolating the bad player and taking the pot away from him on the flop.
That OP even flopped TPTK is a nice bonus as against such a weak player who regularly folds after small donk bets, but I'd make this play really with ATC and guess I would still be able to achieve a profit in the long run with it.
OP: think hand is played fine. If I had to guess I would say he got you either on the turn where he hit his kicker, or you lost against KQ with a straight on the river.