Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Simple TPTK hand.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because I mean, think about it.... if villain checkraises and then proceeds to lead 1/2 to 2/3 pot again, I think in villain's eyes thats an even scarier line. So they will say to themselves "How can I get the most from AK/AQ" and promptly decide the best course of action is to play the hand in a manner that is weird (instapot) and betsizing that is weird (pot).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why the trend for dynamic hand reading in today's game is decidedly downwards and will continue that way.

There are a large and growing number of skilled players out there who know how to look like a donk and trap expert players into stacking off in a marginal situation precisely because they overvalue their hand reading skills relative to reasonable expectations for the specific scenario independent of reads.

This is what I am referring to when I talk about the continued heavy branching of the player profile tree.

You can be cavalier (like gobboboy) and ignore the many signals that the game is changing or you can start recognizing that putting opponents on hands is a skill of downtrending (but still significant) value.

If an expert player's primary skill is dynamic hand reading, then maintaining or increasing your edge most probably must involve exploring broadening your game with other techniques, such as having goals and reasonable expectations for various scenarios.

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize that the guy you just quoted got 2nd in FTOPS ME for a couple 100k, and gobbo got 2nd in Aussie Millions for like 800k.

Please define "dynamic hand reading" so I can properly respond to that part of your post. I think you're just saying, "hand reading skills are becoming less useful." If so, you could've phrased it much better. Why are you calling it "dynamic" hand reading? Is this different from hand reading?

"There are a large and growing number of skilled players out there who know how to look like a donk and trap expert players into stacking off in a marginal situation precisely because they overvalue their hand reading skills relative to reasonable expectations for the specific scenario independent of reads."

There aren't many players who actually do this / capable of recognizing spots where they can do this. Do you understand how hand reading works? Someone takes an action, we eliminate some hands from their range, they take another action, we eliminate some more, etc. What are these "reasonable expectations" you talk about? Please give a common example where players overvalue hand reading when it would be more appropriate to evaluate what's reasonable.

When we profile players because each group of players has specific tendencies, which are useful when hand reading. You seem to be saying, "reads are becoming decreasingly useful, so it's much better for you to assume no reads."

Your point about having "goals and expectations" has always been true. Aside from that, the goals you have in hands seem to be bad. Just because you have A goal, doesn't mean it's a good one. Having a plan has ALWAYS been good; it didn't just suddenly become good, because the game has evolved.