Default Re: The demise of this forum

Make me a mod, I'll help out.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dave for mod!!!

free wintermute!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I 2nd the free wintermute. He was great entertainment. Although I'm not sure he would come back even if he was freed. Hasn't he basically quit playing poker?
Old 10-16-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This comes up every few months. On almost all of the forums I monitor, someone is saying that it is going downhill. You can't please everyone all of the time, that is just the way it goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Felicia - I think we'll have a major improvement done once we update the sticky.. I'll try to add more links to it soon. Also, if you or anyone else has any 2+2 O8 bookmarks, please let us know.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I 2nd the free wintermute. He was great entertainment. Although I'm not sure he would come back even if he was freed. Hasn't he basically quit playing poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

He does not play online poker right now. In his own words, he never intended to play poker for a living or permanently. I suppose he's finishing up his advanced engineering degree or whatever.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:40 PM

Thanks Dave.

Ryan Beal has a post in the "About the forums" forum that merits reading.

"Important info about vBulletin"

It's stickied to the top of the list, so that it's easy to find.

Basically, there will be a change in format November 10 or 11, something like that - and that's less than a month away.

At that time, Ryan indicates threads more than two months old will be lost.

Thus we have to figure out the best way to keep those threads we want to keep. Or do we just want to keep certain posts within those threads?

Anyhow, no big rush, but something to think about. Read Ryan's post in the ATF forum.

Buzz
Old 10-16-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At that time, Ryan indicates threads more than two months old will be lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

If i'm interpretting this correctly, the archives will remain intact, but more recent "old posts" will be lost. I could be way off though. If this is the case, it'd be pretty for some of us to download/backup the good posts, and re-post them later on.

<font color="green">Good idea. - Buzz</font>

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0&amp;fpart=1

<font color="green">Fantastic. Thanks for the URL - Buzz</font>
Old 10-16-2007, 08:38 PM

I'm one of these potential new players. I've been mucking around with low limit PLO8 lately, and reading as much as I could here (thought I haven't started posting yet).
In defence of the newbies, it's really quite hard to find theory on this game, even if you prefer to read up rather than ask to have it handed to you, like me.
I think a really strong step forward would be to encourage the regulars of this forum to keep coming up with old threads that are helpful, theory wise, to collect them all into a sticky and then, as someone said earlier, if someone posts something like "what are the best books" just reply with "check the sticky".
What's more, most of the time when I come to this board I see relatively few new posts, the majority of which are limits that are WAYYY beyond my means/bankroll. This can be off-putting and can make the baord seem inaccessible.
As one random example of how I'd like the board to be, I came across a thread yesterday relating to Buzz's old articles. In one of them I read him analysing a hand, using hits and misses, contemplating whether a raise could come behind him, etc, etc. As basic as this might seem to you guys, to a poker noob like me this was pretty eye-opening and I quickly added the thread to my favourites. If we had an accessible collection of all those quality threads in a sticky, newcomers might feel they have an "in" into this game and then start posting hands and trying to join in in legitimate discussions.

Edit: I replied directly to a firtst-page post, before reading that people had basically said what I've said 97 times already in the thread [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]