Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Re: A Quick Challenge on Preflop Equity; No Cheating!

[ QUOTE ]
"bob" limps in ep with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], "al" raises with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in MP, we're on the button with J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and we know the BB "ace" will call any number of bets with any two cards.

what is our best play? what is everyone's preflop equity in the hand? you have to make a guess without using any simulating software. write it down, etc. and next, check your answer:

bob with his 77: w%
al with his AKs: x%
ace with his junk:y%
us with JTs: z%

how'd you do? linky link to the answer

[/ QUOTE ]

This is difficult because it is circular. AK has the edge over JTs. 77 has the edge over AK. But JTs and 77 are almost a coin toss, with JT possibly having the edge but I'm uncertain. JTs has an edge against any pocket pair smaller than 77.

I feel best with AK. 77 has to dodge four overcards. Small pocket pairs are only good in heads up pots or pots with several players.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how do you calculate this.

[/ QUOTE ]

This wasn't caluculated. It was simulated. See the link.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is difficult because it is circular.

[/ QUOTE ]

all multiway pots have this effect.

most of the significant equity changes come after the flop, but this phenomenon is still present.

for instance, compare a multiway pot with one person holding top pair, another holding a nut flush draw, and some other opponent(s) with various crap(draws, pairs, whatever).

the flush draw makes money off of every additional person that enters the pot. it can actually cost the top pair hand money as people enter. so the flush draw welcomes players, the top pair resists them.

understanding how these equities intertwine is crucial to success at limit hold em.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:25 PM

Great quiz - anxious to see if I even got the order correct.
Bob W=33
Al X=27
us Y=23
Ace Z=17
Old 10-04-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Re: And Now for the Flop!

ok but I have yet to check preflop. Again - very instructional. TY

Bob W=20
Al X=40
us Y=30
Ace Z=10
Old 10-04-2007, 10:58 PM

It's more useful to know your equity versus a villain's range than a specific hand. The latter rarely comes up and when it does, your hand plays itself.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's more useful to know your equity versus a villain's range than a specific hand. The latter rarely comes up and when it does, your hand plays itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's still helpful to see where you stand in these commone situations. substitute yourself for the AKs or 77 guy. see how your equity stacks up in terms of these specific examples and it becomes easier to estimate equity based on ranges weighted towards a specific type of holdings(ie. a certain draw or top pair or whatever).

in other words, being able to estimate your equity with certain hands in common situations helps estimate equities of complete ranges since alot of them are weighted towards a particular type of holding(based on the board/action usually holds top pair or a draw, etc.).

more importantly this helps you understand WHY something is how it is versus just seeing that something is how it is because the hot/cold sim tells you so(or the forum or a book or whatever). theory man, theory.
don't you see that?
Old 10-05-2007, 12:07 AM

wow i'm dumb.

I missed that the first flop had the 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], giving AKs like 5% more equity.

i think its more like

AK: 6%
JTs: 40
77: 54
Ax: <<<1

i might still be wrong though. i guess im real bad at this [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we call, sb folds, ace calls in the BB, and bob calls.

for the following flop what is everyone's equity?

Flop(8sb): K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] = 45%
77 = 54%
AK = 1%
Junk = 0%
Old 10-05-2007, 01:34 PM

Default Re: And Now for Another Flop!

[ QUOTE ]
Flop 2

we call, sb folds, ace calls in the BB, and bob calls.

for the following flop what is everyone's equity?

Flop(8sb): K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] = 55%
A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] = 35%
7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] = 8%
Junk = 2%