Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 10:05 AM

Default Annie Duke Interview Controversy regarding Ladies WSOP event.

Note, I also posted something similar as a reply in the Ladies WSOP event thread in the Tournament Circuit/WSOP section, but decided to start a dedicated thread here about it, as after some thought I figured this might be a better place to discuss/debate this issue.

If this is the wrong venue, sorry about that, and if it is in the wrong forum, can one of the mods please move the thread to the right forum? Thank you.

Well, she's done it again ... Annie Duke opens her mouth .... and inserts foot.

http://www.cardplayer.com/tv/25320

Click on the June 12th Annie Duke Interview link to the right once you get there.

Annie goes on and on in the interview about how 'degrading' the Ladies WSOP event is to women in general (she also takes the time with this interview, to run Doyle Brunson down as well, saying in effect the only way he can win now is in the Seniors event). However, here's the irony here given her stance about having segregated events for women only, just this past week, she was an instructor who TAUGHT the Women ONLY Poker school!

Regardless of the readers here views about WOEs (Women Only Events), think about that point there.

IF Annie REALLY feels like she does, then what business did she have accepting a position as a teacher, teaching the women's ONLY poker school sessions?

Logic dictates that if she thinks that it's an insult to have a Women's only event, then she should feel that a women's only poker school is the same kind of insult. Geez, given her stance and her statements about WOE's, is she then saying that she thinks that women are not as smart as men, and have to be taught in segregated poker school classes??

(She even bragged in the interview on how when she was there at the Women's Poker School, that she was able to talk several women there when she was teaching the classes, out of playing in the WSOP Ladies Event, and how she's trying now very hard to have the Ladies WSOP event and the Seniors event eliminated from the World Series. In fact Annie who's on the WSOP advisory council, well it's appears from her statements like it's her mission in life to ruin it for the women (and the seniors too) who DO want to play in that type of event)

I mean don't get me wrong here, she has every right to her views, but who died and made her Queen of the world (and gave her the right to use her position on the WSOP advisory committee to try to force taking away the Ladies event from the WSOP list of events)?

I know one thing is for sure, she's not speaking for me and many other women out there when it comes to NOT having the event in the first place at the WSOP.

While I tend to play WOEs myself just for fun, I do think there is a place for the WOE events for the women just coming into poker. If the majority of women thought (as she does) that it was an insult to women to play in the event, why then please, has it doubled and doubled again in the last few years. If a majority of women felt as she did, then the event numbers would be going down instead of up, and the event would no longer be held due to lack of interest. Last I checked, I and several other women (the majority I am thinking) did not give her OUR voice to speak for us, that's for sure.

If as she says that (the reason why the numbers are going up instead of down is because) it's an 'Easy Bracelet' then heck, why doesn't she (and several other Women Pro players who sing the same tune as she does about WOEs) jump in with both feet and win this 'easy bracelet event'? If her logic is correct (that's an easy bracelet), then we should always see an all pro final table at the Ladies Only WSOP, with out a single amature female present there.

So, given her stance about Women only events, where did we see that she spent 3 days of the World Series timeframe? Yep, you guessed it, as there she was, teaching the women's only poker school, and Annie who says its insulting for women to be segregated, yet she's teaching a 'segregated' poker school session for Women only? Yeah right.

Like I said she's entitled to her opinions, but let's get real. Wave a little money under Annie's nose to teach the women's ONLY poker school classes, and boom she's there.

IMO, what a hypocrite!

Comments, opinions?
Old 06-14-2007, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Annie Duke Interview Controversy regarding Ladies WSOP event.

Annie Duke - who cares?
Old 06-14-2007, 10:09 AM

very, very hypocritical.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:10 AM

kinda like the WNBA

HEY AT LEAST THEY HAVE GOOD FUNDAMENTALS, AMIRITE?
Old 06-14-2007, 10:11 AM

Comment/opinion: Read a few paragraphs, chuckled to myself and said "haha yeah she's an idiot" and skipped the rest. Standard.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:12 AM

First.

Trying to form a logical argument to counter something annie duke says can, at times, be pointless.

Barry
Old 06-14-2007, 10:15 AM

So why should poker be segregated again? Poker is poker, it is not a gender specific activity. Not to stand up for ms Duke (because i am not exactly fond of her) but I can see the difference between having a ladies only class and event. The ladies only class can focus on topics related to being a female in the Poker world, and how to maximise certain male tendenacies etc etc. Ladies only circuits such a LIPS etc, are fine because they are not the major league anyways, but when we get to a "major" event like the WSOP(dont even get me started) there is no need for segregation. I can understand the need for a WNBA, but in the poker world, im not really seeing it.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Annie Duke - who cares?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah no doubt. I've thought Annie was an idiot for years. I put absolutely zero stock in anything she says.

Why is she even on the advisory board? Her stupid opinions shouldn't matter.

Wow, I don't know if I'm supposed to read the entire thread.

OP is beyond retarded.

"(she also takes the time with this interview, to run Doyle Brunson down as well, saying in effect the only way he can win now is in the Seniors event)."

This is effectively the opposite of what she's saying.