Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy

Old 02-18-2006, 10:16 PM

Default PS $6.50 - Questionable play from BB

Ok Guys.. not sure about how i played this hand. If you're curious about the result, I'll tell you, but really the result doesn't matter. My reads on this player are as follows:

Loose as hell, 10 hands into tournament, called on 7, raised none of em, and showed down some beautiful rags 3 hands previous. Also, he was slightly aggressive. I interpreted his newly found aggressive betting pattern as a missed draw. Please critique, and If bad, go easy on me please. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t25/t50
8 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t1950
UTG+1: t3010
MP1: t1120
MP2: t1170
CO: t1150
Button: t1620
SB: t2020
Hero: t1460

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls t50, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls t50, 3 folds, SB calls t25, Hero checks.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (t200, 4 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc3333">Hero bets t150</font>, UTG folds, MP1 calls t150, SB folds.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t500, 2 players)
<font color="#cc3333">Hero bets t350</font>, MP1 calls t350.

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t1200, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc3333">MP1 is all-in t570</font>, Hero calls t570.

Results:
Final pot: t2340
Old 02-18-2006, 10:58 PM

Default Re: PS $6.50 - Questionable play from BB

I would pretty much shut down after the flop. Basically just check/fold after the initial flop probe bet. As played you lost all your chips on second pair with a weak kicker. Just shut down the betting and save your chips for the bubble, which is where it really counts. What could he have that doesn't beat you?
Old 02-19-2006, 12:42 AM

He actually had 56o, for a busted straight draw. I actually won the hand. That was the surprising part... at least to me. I was thinking at the end that he might be representing rivering an ace or missed his straight draw. That said, knowing how he played, it looks like almost any two cards are possible here.

Thanks for your input, I felt like I got a lucky break here, as opposed to playing it well.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He actually had 56o, for a busted straight draw. I actually won the hand. That was the surprising part... at least to me. I was thinking at the end that he might be representing rivering an ace or missed his straight draw. That said, knowing how he played, it looks like almost any two cards are possible here.

Thanks for your input, I felt like I got a lucky break here, as opposed to playing it well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha I guess I just assumed you lost. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Be sure not to be results oriented though, you go broke here way more than you catch villain on a stone cold bluff. That player must have been donktasic.

May I also add that this looks like a compulsive decision on your part. Meaning that you figured this when you called on the river, "oh well I'm most likely beat but I have wasted so many chips on this hand I might as well put in the rest." I know that I have been guilty of this kind of thinking from time to time. To be a good poker player you can't always make decsions on a whim. And if you make one bad decsion (i.e. the turn bet) don't make things worse by making another bad decsion (the all-in on the river.)Controlling you urges to make decsions you know are bad will make you a much better player in the long run.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:50 AM

Yeah, at the time it was great, but I knew I went to far with it. Thats good advice, and I try to stay away from caring if it won or lost [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

That said.. MOST of the times probe bets get called, its better to check fold the flop unless you have either an ironclad read or hit a great turn card? Thanks again!

Gotta love the donks =)
Old 02-19-2006, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, at the time it was great, but I knew I went to far with it. Thats good advice, and I try to stay away from caring if it won or lost [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the only way to think if you want to get better. It is hard to accept that though, but it comes with time.

[ QUOTE ]
That said.. MOST of the times probe bets get called, its better to check fold the flop unless you have either an ironclad read or hit a great turn card? Thanks again!

Gotta love the donks =)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well as in everything with poker it depends on the situation. The essence of good SNG poker involves how much is in the pot in relation to your stack and how big the blinds are in relation to your stack. When the blinds are low and the pots are small you normally don't want to invest too much money, unless you have a premieum hand. That being said the probe bet on this hand was "ok" but any action after that is not needed. Make sure you have a strong drawing or all ready made hand before you go into later streets (when the blinds are low). Unless you are running some kind of crazy bluff, which does not really even pay off till the later levels anyway. And futhermore sophisticated bluffs at this level are not needed.