Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 10:28 PM

Default FTP $225 bubble call range against Gramps

This hand came up against Gramps and really confused me as to what I should be calling with. Obviously I can't call with Q9o here, but just for fun, what ranges do you guys think I should be calling here? For the record, I don't really know what his range is here. I thought it was something like 22+,A9+, maybe KQ. Obviously my calling range is dependent on his pushing range, so I guess a side question is what is his pushing range here?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t120/t240
4 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t3590
Button: t3630
SB: t2530
Hero: t3750

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises all-in t3630</font>, SB folds, Hero folds.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:37 PM

Default Re: FTP $225 bubble call range against Gramps

id call with 99+, AK, not KQs, but this is way over my buyin and I don't know who villian is. Just my .2c, I'd say his range is slightly less, perhaps 66+, A9s+
Old 04-27-2007, 10:41 PM

Gramps is a very very good player. Probably one of two or three people I don't like being in my SNGs.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:42 PM

Just screwing around with SNGPT we need around 65% equity to call here. It depends how often he will open jam hands like AA and KK here. I think his range here is pretty specific range of hands. Gramps should be able to push pretty widely here (although you can exploit it if he keep this up).
Old 04-28-2007, 12:13 AM

Man SnGs were so much easier 2 years ago. Answers would have been divided into two camps:

1. Fold anything but AA
2. Call any ace any pair cuz you gotta go for first.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:38 AM

I feel like I'd call with AJ+, 99+?
Old 04-28-2007, 03:19 AM

I don't care if it's reg against reg, if you don't remove QQ+, AK, probably JJ/AQ from his range you're making a mistake. Unless you guys have a bunch of recent history he's playing off of.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't care if it's reg against reg, if you don't remove QQ+, AK, probably JJ/AQ from his range you're making a mistake. Unless you guys have a bunch of recent history he's playing off of.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No way in hell, I can easily see him pushing AK and AQ this is not even a question. Those hands really want to make sure that 55-99 and such don't resteal, so there is some very clear logical value to simply moving allin. In order to balance this out, you should occasionally move allin with stuff like AA-QQ but not all of the time.

Removing AK and AQ makes no sense at all to me, since those are some of the most likely hands to do this. They give up the chance of a lower ace reraising, but they hopefully discourage a pocket pair from doing so as well.

Anyway I think removing a hand from his range is silly. I think instead its best to lower the frequency. Perhaps say hes only 20% as likely to have AA, 30% as likely to have KK, 40% as likely to have QQ, something like that, because I'm sure he would move allin against a regular more than 0 percent of the time. Whether my numbers are to be agreed with or not I don't know, but it's best to calculate like that instead of completely removing a hand from his range. It's just unlikely he has AA but not impossible.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:24 AM

ehh...88+ AQs+ AKo, after some playing around with SNGPT.

this is a really tough spot, and I can't really think of a good line of reasoning that will get me to hero's optimal decision/calling frequency.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dude seriously this is really bad. and it doesnt really make sense. i mean curtains already said it. why in the world is he not pushing AQ or AK???