Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help

Old 04-15-2007, 01:59 PM

Default Re: No display when booting up?!

Are you sure the video card is in the PCI express slot and not a reguar PCI slot. It should be the top slot and its usually black.

Also does that MB have integrated graphics meaning is there a seperate VGA slot near the top of the case? These fixes are very easy with the PC in hand, its just hard to tell you what to do. For me at least.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:31 PM

The PCI Express Card is in the only slot where the card will fit, and it is at the top of the slots. It's actually a blue slot, but it does not fit in any other slots.

I don't see a VGA slot near the top, just a Serial and Parallel port.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:11 PM

In your OP you said at one point that you had video but there was a problem finding the HD. Could you go into more detail as to what you were doing after you had the display working? In theory, unless some component randomly fried, one of the steps you took is most likely causing the current problem.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:30 PM

Just called my friend and asked him about this.

He had plugged in both the SATA power cable and the other Power cable (4 holes, not sure of name) and started it up. He said the comp came on for about 1 second, then immediatley shut off.

After he unplugged the system, he got the power to come back on, and since then, no video.

I wish he'd have told me this yesterday . Sorry, I truly did not know that had happened.

Think he fried the whole system?
Old 04-15-2007, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My next step seems to be to pull out any type of card other than the video card, and the mobo/processor/fan/ram.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unplug the fans too, and swap in a known good video card + RAM if you can find them. If that doesn't work bring it somewhere with diagnostic equipment that can tell you which components are fried.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:36 PM

Google PC POST process and read up on it. After that start removing and adding components until you find the problem piece. Remove the memory first since its the first stage in the POST process and try to boot up the rig. Continue down the line following the POST order until u find the problem.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:04 PM

Sounds like a BIOS issue to me. Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

I just had what you describe happen to me a couple weeks ago and I was able to fix it by clearing the CMOS. This resets the BIOS to the original settings.

From your motherboard's manual:

So you just need to place a jumper over those two pins for a few seconds and then take it off.

This worked for me.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No beeps at all

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure the speaker is plugged in to the proper pins on the board. You may be getting beep codes but not hearing them (also strange things can happen if you plug the speaker into the wrong pins and wind up "holding down" the reset button or suspend switch or something.

Of course, if there really aren't any POST beep codes, then this won't help...just thought it'd help narrow down what got fried if you can get the beep codes.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No beeps at all

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure the speaker is plugged in to the proper pins on the board. You may be getting beep codes but not hearing them (also strange things can happen if you plug the speaker into the wrong pins and wind up "holding down" the reset button or suspend switch or something.

Of course, if there really aren't any POST beep codes, then this won't help...just thought it'd help narrow down what got fried if you can get the beep codes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice work Nut. I typed that earlier, but I accidentally closed the stupid browser window. Make sure that MB actually has an internal speaker. I imagine there are plenty that don't.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a BIOS issue to me. Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

I just had what you describe happen to me a couple weeks ago and I was able to fix it by clearing the CMOS. This resets the BIOS to the original settings.

From your motherboard's manual:

So you just need to place a jumper over those two pins for a few seconds and then take it off.

This worked for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt this is his problem since he's never fully booted the PC. But it is very useful to know for other scenarios.