Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2006, 03:52 AM

Default Re: The Well: gobboboy

Gobbo,

Every time you play live you seem to destroy the games, whatever you're playing. Then you come online and seem to have a sick run for the following week.

Why do you think this is? Concentration? You actually care about the money more when you can see it and touch it in front of you? It can't just be about reading people because your online play improves also.

Any tips for achieving this increase in ability?
Old 12-19-2006, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Name the toughest 5 players you have played with in tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

In no particular order:

BodogAri, because his game is just crazy and it's impossible to do anything about. It's very hard to put him on a hand.

You (Ansky) because you have so few leaks and never miss a spot to resteal or let people get away with crap.

Rizen, because the guy is a lockbox who never spews. It's almost impossible to catch him in a spot unless you have a monster.

ActionJeff and AaronBeen, their games are really similar and basically do not miss spots preflop where they can take something down. They both are awesome at finding spots where people are FOS.

[ QUOTE ]
Of all the ranked guys, who do you think is actually a chump?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no clue how TheBeat was ranked as highly as he was for as long as he was, strictly going on results. If you're going on play, I'm not going to name any other names because I'm a nice guy, but if you want me to name who I think is underrated, mikeymer/mman_status doesn't get nearly enough credit. He's constantly going deep and has very few leaks but I see him time and time again lose key situations. I expect him to do well.

[ QUOTE ]

And who is the one legged, 7 fingered asian boy, who pwns the world?

[/ QUOTE ]

Richard Dreyfuss?

I wuv you Adam.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fire away. This'll be fun.

MAKE IT FUN.

[/ QUOTE ]
GL here gobbs, dont let the vultures get to you because they will eventually circle here.

------------
When did you know you had the potential to be an MTT beast? Like at what point did you know you could be super successful?

Why do you pwn limit HE so hard?
~J

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly I could barely tell my game was getting better until I looked back on my results and realized there was no way I was playing the same way I was a year ago and actually making money. I don't review my play nearly enough to actually see myself getting better. But apparently people think I'm a good player, so that's good enough for me.

I don't know why I'm a better LHE player than NLHE... I guess because the random blowups won't be as big because I can't let go of a hand and because people aren't very good at limit overall.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:00 AM

/request story of you got into poker, where you made first deposits, detailed background, etc
Old 12-19-2006, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what is the easiest $150+ buy in trny on the net(as in has the weakest players overall)

[/ QUOTE ]

Stars sunday million and it's not even close.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you buying new headphones soon?

Also, do you know anything about what are good headphones to get, I asked in 00t, but got berated all the way back to MTTC.

[/ QUOTE ]

The ones I broke are salvaged actually. Only one of the sides still works and I have to hold it up to my head, but they're still good.

I dunno, just standard $20 headphones with a mic at bestbuy are good enough for me.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you buying new headphones soon?

Also, do you know anything about what are good headphones to get, I asked in 00t, but got berated all the way back to MTTC.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.headphone.com/guide/

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-ap...st-headphones/

I have the grado sr60s, but while they sound [censored] awesome, they aren't noise cancelling or whatever (ie if you play them loud everyone can hear, and you can hear over them as well) and they don't seem particularly sturdy.

I accept stars transfers.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you came around after me and learned tournament poker a lot faster than me. who did you learn the most from on 2p2 as you were starting out, and whose strategy posts do you look for now?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something I'm rather proud of, in that I didn't learn how to play tournaments from anyone except maybe a real-life friend who posts every once in a while. He's BlindingLaser on 2+2. He taught me rudimentary strategy for tournaments but after a point I had to learn everything myself. I talked about some hands with Rizen back when he walked among us men, but I never had a coach or anyone watching my games. I basically just played a HELL of a lot of tournaments.

I don't read the strategy forum very much anymore, but if Ansky, MLG or adanthar have a good post I'm always there. Betgo is probably who I look for the most because I don't have enough humor in my life.

[ QUOTE ]
how much do you still study your game (particularly your mtt game), whether it be reviewing hands or posting in mttf?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't. Most discussion I do is about other people's games and questions. Once in a while I'll have a hand I want advice on but that's about it.

[ QUOTE ]
apart from better br management, whats the best thing i can do to "step up my game?"

[/ QUOTE ]

You could do what I need to do and trust yourself more and get emotions under control. Basically just see a lot of situations. You're never going to be good tournament player if you don't have a LOT of tournaments under your belt. Especially lategame, it's important to go deep a bunch and figure out situations and how you should go about them. Oh, and run better. You suck at that.

[ QUOTE ]
has gobbomom "accepted" poker, or does she hope it's a phase, or what? how was she at first?

[/ QUOTE ]

At first she couldn't get past 'OMG THEY'LL BREAK HIS LEGS' because she didn't understand how it worked. Now she likes it because I take her out to dinner and pay for stuff. She loves that I get to travel and wishes I would take her places. I'm sure she'll chime in here.

[ QUOTE ]
oh and give us the gobbostory, big cashes, how it started, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll do this later, give me a bit.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:10 AM

When will gobbo stop being so straightedge?
Old 12-19-2006, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How old are you?

Can you give me a trip report of how you felt that one day you won 2 major tournaments a day or so after your bday? I don't remember the details, I'm sure you do though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 19, I turn 20 in April.

God, that night was awesome. It was the night of my 19th birthday. I went out to dinner with some friends and afterwards came back home to play the nightly tournaments. The Super was a wednesday that night, so it was limit with like 500 people or so. The 55k was massive as it always is, with like 1500 people and 15k for first. I started getting really involved in the limit tournament because I play ridiculously loose aggressive and I just ran really really hot in the 55k.

After 5 hours or so I was at the final table of the limit tournament and just ran the table over. At the same time, I just kept looking over at my 55k table and just raised every time it folded to me. No one ever played back at me except when I had the nuts. There was a key pot where I got it in with AK against AQ on a QJT board for about 6x the average at the time. Then I got to the final table (I think it was a crazy final table with Bel0wAb0ve and Foshio but I could be wrong) and just ran really good. I chopped the limit super HU for about 17k with a 2-1 chiplead because I wanted to focus, and then just played really solidly in the 55k until I won it. I was never allin after the rebuy period for all my chips for the entire tournament except once, shorthanded at the final table, when me and my opponent both had the nuts and we chopped.

Any other questions on that subject?