Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2006, 01:30 AM

Default $215s JJ hand (yes I reraised preflop...)

I don't have a read on the villain or any knowledge of his game. He's not a regular and not a donkey, just a random guy. I liked my hand until he reraised. Am I just committed here or can I fold. Yes, I post boring hands.

PartyPoker $215 Speed Tournament, Big Blind is t60 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t2090)
UTG+1 (t1740)
MP1 (t3860)
MP2 (t1665)
MP3 (t2195)
CO (t1900)
Button (t2560)
Hero (t1960)
BB (t2030)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="red">CO raises to t220</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t575</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, <font color="red">CO is all in</font>, Hero....
Old 08-22-2006, 01:36 AM

Default Re: $215s JJ hand (yes I reraised preflop...)

I would probably fold. What made you reraise, just mixing it up? I would think your standard line is to just call.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:28 AM

In position i would just call this and take a flop. As played, i guess you have to fold, his range is probably QQ+, AK.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:34 AM

What are you raising for?
Old 08-22-2006, 02:36 AM

I would raise a bit more and call anything, you are basically stuck when someone open raises from the cutoff here and has JJ beat. Had same hand today, although it was a button raiser, and they had QQ...so ridiculous.

I would never call here, they are raising from way too late a position IMO, and we are OOP the whole hand. Sometimes the [censored] will have AA-QQ, sometimes itll be a coin flip, sometimes they will be crazy and have 66. Also they will fold a lot.

If you plan to fold to the reraise it's probably some kind of mistake for you to reraise to begin with, although the raise you made was small enough so that they might call and your hand value actually has some importance.

Honestly if I were you I'd just think "What would my avatar do"?
Old 08-22-2006, 02:44 AM

i dont like the raise. you are investing 25% of ur stack and giving him an easy call... you don't really want to see a flop with a big pot with JJ OOP. i would have just called and went from there.

as for the push, i would call. i believe a random guy will do this enough with AJ+,99+/dumb hand to make this profitable.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would never call here, they are raising from way too late a position IMO, and we are OOP the whole hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

curtains, what do u think of a call and (assuming BB doesnt call PF) bet out on any board with one/two overcard(s)? since he raised to 575 he is investing 355 more PF. but if he just calls and then bets 355 on the flop, i think that might have a better chance to win the hand with the same amount of chips invested.

btw, the pot would be an even 500 if you just called. so you can even bet less than 375 to get the job done.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would never call here, they are raising from way too late a position IMO, and we are OOP the whole hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

curtains, what do u think of a call and (assuming BB doesnt call PF) bet out on any board with one/two overcard(s)? since he raised to 575 he is investing 355 more PF. but if he just calls and then bets 355 on the flop, i think that might have a better chance to win the hand with the same amount of chips invested.

btw, the pot would be an even 500 if you just called. so you can even bet less than 375 to get the job done.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont lkie it. The flat call, random bet out postflop encourages a lot of fancy play from opponents. You never truly know where you stand. Well maybe you do, I don't though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2006, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would raise a bit more and call anything, you are basically stuck when someone open raises from the cutoff here and has JJ beat. Had same hand today, although it was a button raiser, and they had QQ...so ridiculous.

I would never call here, they are raising from way too late a position IMO, and we are OOP the whole hand. Sometimes the [censored] will have AA-QQ, sometimes itll be a coin flip, sometimes they will be crazy and have 66. Also they will fold a lot.

If you plan to fold to the reraise it's probably some kind of mistake for you to reraise to begin with, although the raise you made was small enough so that they might call and your hand value actually has some importance.

Honestly if I were you I'd just think "What would my avatar do"?

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you do if villain just calls your raise? How much more do we know where we stand in the hand? It seems like the hand is now even more difficult to play, because you have built a bigger pot with the raise and are still OOP.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you do if villain just calls your raise? How much more do we know where we stand in the hand? It seems like the hand is now even more difficult to play, because you have built a bigger pot with the raise and are still OOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is exactly my point. if you are only called then you are going to get f'ed so many times when an A/K comes on the flop, which is only 90% of the time.

plus the fact hes only raising to 575 means he villian will decide to call too frequently.